Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by trevor »

HI Neil,
After that marathon, hopefully normality will return in 2017.
More than once this year I've heard '' haven't seen much of Neil lately ''!.

Looking forward to my copy.
All the best,
Trevor.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Congrats Neil - have a good rest and get ready for 2017, here's hoping it's a cracker :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Congratulations, indeed, Neil - and like others I can't wait to see a copy. :) The work that goes into something like that is phenomenal.

Dave

John W

Post by John W »

Fabulous Neil, I can't wait to see a copy!

Cheers
John W

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Congrats Neil - I know how much work you've put into this and I know that there are high expectations as a result (since you always set yourself such a high standard), which I'm sure will be more than met!

I hope you're now able to take a well-deserved break!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Neil Hulme wrote:The Pain Is Over

I've invested approximately 1,200 hours of 'spare time' in the project this year, and although I'm sure I'll look back on the finished article with some degree of pride, it will be the feat of endurance that sticks in my memory. I will hopefully have recovered by the time the first Orange-tip takes to the air.
1200 hours! Puts my 300ish on Sheffield street trees to shame!!! Well done Neil. If it weren't for the efforts of people like you, the wildlife world would be much worse off. I'm sure I speak for many UKButterflyers on here when I say a huge thanks for all that you do.

William

Post by William »

Congrats Neil - a mammoth work, look forward to seeing it! Hope you enjoy a good break over the winter.

BWs,

William

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Congrats also from me, Neil.

I am also looking forward to getting my copy.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
David M

Post by David M »

Great effort, Neil, and I'm sure the results will vindicate that mammoth total of hours devoted to the task.

I have the flyer on my desk and will be ordering a copy early in the new year.

Best wishes for a restful Christmas......you've sure earned it!

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

UKB Happy Christmas.jpg
Thanks to everyone for their kind words. I'm now weaning myself off the Red Bull!

bugboy: "I'm sure if they could, the butterflies themselves would thank you ". I think they do, in their own way. When I discovered a newly colonised Duke of Burgundy site in May, containing at least 88 individuals, it certainly felt like an expression of gratitude for all the work we've done for the species in Sussex.

millerd: "The work that goes into something like that is phenomenal". The main part is actually 'invisible' - this being the research and preparation involved before writing the account for each species. I now know a great deal more about butterflies than I did before starting. For instance, I now have very strong suspicions about the reasons for the decline of Small Tortoiseshell in the South of England since the mid 1980s (not parasitoids, at least not directly/mainly), and I no longer believe that the overgrowth of chalk grasslands, as the result of myxomatosis, was the initial trigger for declines in Silver-spotted Skipper, Grayling and Adonis Blue (although it clearly exacerbated the problem and, more importantly, prevented any sort of recovery for over thirty years).

Wishing you all a very Happy Christmas and butterfly-filled New Year.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Well done on completing the Atlas, Neil. Looking forward to buying a copy in the new year. :D

A very merry christmas and a happy new year to you.

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:I now know a great deal more about butterflies than I did before starting. For instance, I now have very strong suspicions about the reasons for the decline of Small Tortoiseshell in the South of England since the mid 1980s (not parasitoids, at least not directly/mainly), and I no longer believe that the overgrowth of chalk grasslands, as the result of myxomatosis, was the initial trigger for declines in Silver-spotted Skipper, Grayling and Adonis Blue (although it clearly exacerbated the problem and, more importantly, prevented any sort of recovery for over thirty years).
Is this information contained in the book, Neil?

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David

Yes, along with discussion of a wide range of other 'tricky' topics, such as the origin of Sussex Monarchs, status of Large Tortoiseshell since the mid C20th; whether recent events reflect truly migratory (rather than sporadic, dispersive) behaviour in Long-tailed Blue; what really reduced the famously vast population of Chalk Hill Blue at Shoreham Bank (Mill Hill) to the small colony which persists there today; why the female Duke of Burgundy has retained six fully developed legs, and much more.

I hasten to add that these are reasoned arguments based on circumstantial evidence, rather than proven facts, but there is plenty of stuff in there which I hope people will find of interest, beyond a rehash of the 'known'.

BWs, Neil

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Neil,

On the subject of the Long Tailed Blue, we were told that the 2013 influx was a once in a lifetime event.
Then in 2015 it happened again. This year I was privileged to witness just one of a couple of reported specimens.
This makes me wonder whether they've been visiting our shores for many years in varying numbers. the theory
being if no one knew they were here, they would not be searching for them.
Until of course an eagle eyed observer happens to spot one, which takes us neatly back to 2013 !.

Just a thought.

All the best for next season, :D .
Trevor.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Trevor,
It's all in the book. No time for spoilers - it's nearly time to start the Christmas shopping!

Hi Susie,
Many thanks. Happy Christmas to you too.

BWs, Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:Yes, along with discussion of a wide range of other 'tricky' topics, such as the origin of Sussex Monarchs, status of Large Tortoiseshell since the mid C20th; whether recent events reflect truly migratory (rather than sporadic, dispersive) behaviour in Long-tailed Blue; what really reduced the famously vast population of Chalk Hill Blue at Shoreham Bank (Mill Hill) to the small colony which persists there today; why the female Duke of Burgundy has retained six fully developed legs, and much more.
That's more than enough to make me even more keen to get hold of a copy.

Thanks, Neil.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

First Of The Year

It's been some time since I posted on UKB, for two reasons. Firstly, it's taken quite a while to recover, both physically and mentally, from writing 'The Butterflies of Sussex'. I've seen the proofs and don't even remember writing half of it! Fortunately, I've already managed to shed more than a stone of the weight I put on, as the result of Red Bull fuelled all-nighters. Two weeks in Fuerteventura should complete the healing.

Secondly, I've spent a very large amount of time outdoors, performing more hands-on conservation work than I've ever done before, mainly for my Fritillaries for the Future project - I've even taken up coppicing. More on this soon.

But this post has been prompted by that magic moment that we all share each year - the first butterfly of the season. A walk around Rewell Wood today produced two Red Admiral and two Peacock, one of which was in near-perfect condition.
BC Peacock, Rewell Wood 18.2.17.jpg
For the lovers of butterflies, orchids and other wildlife there are a few gems on offer on TV next week (see below). I did much of the wildlife guiding for the making of 'South Downs - England's Mountains Green'. One of the many great sequences we got was of Short-eared Owls on the Norfolk Estate. There are, of course, some of my favourite butterflies on show.
South Downs England's Mountains Green.jpg

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Peacocks are the 'laziest' overwinterers, Neil, so you've done gloriously well to get one in mid-February.

Perhaps it was reward for what you've suffered over the past few months, although any activity that leads to a stone in weight loss is a business opportunity in itself!

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Ah ! It was Red Bull then !.
The way you charged through those saplings with the chainsaw at Park Corner,
struck me as being a bit super Human !. Your bonfire gang that day are still recovering.

Lovely Peacock.

Trevor.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

I recognise that view behind Peter!!

Return to “Personal Diaries”