Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Happy New Year, Wurzel. My brother looks in on my diary, so I'm sure he'll appreciate your comment.
BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I agree with Wurzel, an interesting range of styles as well, I like the black and white images. I must have glanced at his images hundreds of times as a regular(ish) visitor to the London WWT. I'll pay closer attention next time I go :)

Also great work with all that habitat work you and your team have been doing, I've enjoyed watching things develop through your posts :). If I could have made it down to help myself I would have. It's good we are experiencing a decent winter to also help the Fritillaries (not to mention all our other native wildlife) along, fingers crossed for a bumper crop in 2018 :D

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I came across Mark’s work by accident when visiting WWT Arundel earlier this year.

My reaction : “Those information boards and illustrations are good but could do with replacement by less faded versions.” Then I saw who they were by. (Hardly Mark's fault that the boards were "tired")

I have met Mark (when I was with your Neil) in a meadow near Billingshurst.

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

Your fraternal family links remind me of the Lewingtons, Neil. Your brother is very talented artistically, and I'm sure deep (or not so deep) down you have that trait in you as well.

If you weren't a butterfly species champion I'm sure you could be a photographer/artist.

Some folk just 'have it'.

All the best for 2018.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

David M : If you [Neil] weren't a butterfly species champion I'm sure you could be a photographer/artist.
Neil always claims - unconvincingly - that he has nil understanding of the technical aspects of photography. Transfer that lack of expertise (?) to art and presumably he wouldn't know which end of the paint brush to use but would somehow "muddle through".

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, both.
Now I didn't say that I couldn't draw or paint, Jack, just nowhere near as good as my brother. But I don't think that the ability to increase/decrease the exposure setting maketh a photographic technician.
BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Clapham Coppice Coupe Completed

Today (4th January) we finished cutting the first of two Hazel coppice coupes in a wood at Clapham, near Worthing. Many thanks to today's team of Bekah and Chloe (SDNPA rangers), Helen, Ellie and Paul (BC) and Boaz (local hero).
FFTF Church Copse 4.1.18.jpg
FFTF Church Copse 4.1.18 (2).jpg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Working In Pete's Wood

Many thanks to South Downs Volunteer Rangers Jo, Clare, Sathiampama, Natasha and Eugenia for helping out today (14 January) at 'Pete's Wood' near Small Dole. Three of us worked with brushcutters to cut bramble and scrub from several small clearings, including two areas that hold the Dutch Elm Disease-resistant cultivars which the Sussex Branch donated in 2010. I'm pleased to report that they're growing very well. Meanwhile the rest of the group cleared and burned-up brash from a recent felling.
FFTF Longlands Wood work party 14.1.18 (1).jpg
FFTF Longlands Wood work party 14.1.18 (4).jpg
FFTF Longlands Wood work party 14.1.18 (2).jpg
FFTF Longlands Wood work party 14.1.18 (3).jpg
FFTF Longlands Wood work party 14.1.18 (5).jpg
While this was going on there was an excellent turnout for the work party at BC Rowland Wood
FFTF Rowland Wood work party 14.1.18.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Haha, looks like Minnie Padfield even turned up to that work party :lol:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote:Haha, looks like Minnie Padfield even turned up to that work party :lol:
Yes, it DOES look very like her, Bugboy! :)

Looks like a healthy gathering once again, Neil. I just hope this week's forecast storms don't do any damage. :(

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

David M. I just hope this week's forecast storms don't do any damage.
If the October1987 storm can be viewed as a precedent when it cleared a lot of woodland, Neil's team might regret the wasted effort if nature does it for them :(

The worse damage from any storms might be the misguided contractors who want to make everything look neat and tidy afterwards.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, all. The cute Minnie lookalike is Max. He usually gets half the crab-sticks in my packed lunch.
At the risk of doing a 'Michael Fish', what storms? We're due for nothing harsher than a stiff breeze in balmy Sussex.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Cutting For Pearls - Cowdray Estate

Many thanks to the South Downs Volunteer Ranger Service for their work helping to create and maintain habitat for the Pearl-bordered Fritillary on the Cowdray Estate today (16 January). Ten of us coppiced an area of Sweet Chestnut and cleared conifer brash from the edge of a recently widened ride. The estate has been hugely supportive of this work and done much itself to benefit butterflies and other wildlife.
FFTF VRS work party Cowdray Estate 16.1.18.jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

With all this clearance to make PB Frit habitat, one day it might be simpler to produce maps showing where PB Frits DON’T occur :P

Well done Neil.

BTW. Do you address Viscount Cowdray (Michael Pearson) as Mick or Mike?

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the canine update, Neil. Nice to learn Max gets a reward for his attendance!

Love the lattermost image of the clearing. That looks to be a potential violet paradise.....no doubt leading to PBF heaven too!

Good luck!

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack. I haven't had the pleasure, but his head forester is as good as they come.
Thanks, David. I'm hoping that we've saved a very small and ailing PBF colony here, just in the nick of time.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Clapham Coppicers

A group of eleven, comprising SDNPA Ranger Bekah, the regular coppice group, and BC Sussex volunteers Helen and Paul, made great progress cutting the second Hazel coupe of the winter at Clapham Wood today (18 January). The next work party will start here at 10 am on Thursday 1st February, meeting at Clapham Church. All welcome.
FFTF Coppicing at Clapham 18.1.18 (small).jpg

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Excellent works - I would love to be following the woodmen with actinic light and sheet. Is the work likely to benefit many moths as well as the fritillaries?

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Matsukaze. I think the short answer is 'yes', although I couldn't tell you which species, as I try to resist being sucked in by 'the dark side'. I would guess that more species of moth are associated with Hazel coppice than with Sweet Chestnut, but these snippets lifted directly from a BC factsheet on Sweet Chestnut give some idea of the huge diversity associated with that plant:

"Over 70 species of moths feed on Sweet Chestnut in the larval stage, although this is not the primary foodplant and larvae (caterpillars) tend to be found at low density. This total is comparable to those utilising Wych Elm Ulmus glabra, Alder Alnus glutinosa and Beech as hostplants. Several nationally scarcer species, such as Scarce Merveille du Jour Moma alpium, typically associated with oak, and Waved Carpet Hydrelia sylvata, have been found feeding on the leaves of Sweet Chestnut, whilst many, more widespread moths, such as the local Brindled White-spot Parectropis similaria, will also eat Sweet Chestnut.

"The diversity within Sweet Chestnut coppice is indicated by the fact that over 200 species have been recorded on a single June night at a site in Sussex. Some species may have a preference for the early stages of the coppice cycle which can support a wide range of woodland herbs in the ground flora. These herbs are fed on by many species, for example the nationally scarce plume moth Capperia britanniodactyla which is associated with Wood Sage Teucrium scorodonia. Others, such as the Waved Carpet, have a preference for six to nine year old coppice, whilst the Bordered Sallow Pyrrhia umbra, more typically a moth of open habitats, seemingly has a preference for low coppice regrowth within woodland. Other species are found more frequently in older coppice (e.g. up to about 20 years in age), and include Oak-tree Pug Eupithecia dodoneata, O. bractella and S. bifasciana.
"

This tells us that although the fritillaries will only use coppiced habitat in the first (usually three) years following a cut, all stages of regeneration thereafter support their own suites of seldom-noticed moths.

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Brighton Conservation Volunteers

The Brighton Conservation Volunteers visited our reserves again on Tuesday 30 January and set to work with their trademark enthusiasm and efficiency. A large area below the Rowland Wood dam was cleared of its dense Bracken blanket and wood left lying around after earlier visits with my chainsaw, leaving it looking in perfect condition for Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary.

Meanwhile, I continued clearing scrub from around the Park Corner Heath shed, where traces of heather can still be found. I remember the days when SPBF used to fly behind the shed, and they will do again. Thanks to the industrious 17 who did, and have previously done, so much to help the cause.
FFTF BCV Rowland Wood 30.1.18.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”