Pete Eeles

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Pete Eeles

Post by David M »

Pete Eeles wrote: I want to "do this properly" and there are several gaps to close that will take a season (or two) to sort out.
You seem to have covered so much in the last two or three years, Pete. Which are the species you haven't yet covered satisfactorily?

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

David M wrote:
Pete Eeles wrote: I want to "do this properly" and there are several gaps to close that will take a season (or two) to sort out.
You seem to have covered so much in the last two or three years, Pete. Which are the species you haven't yet covered satisfactorily?
Cryptic Wood White, Heath Fritillary, Mountain Ringlet, Painted Lady (!), Pearl-bordered Fritillary and Wood White.

Most of these are "simply" planning and effort. However, Mountain Ringlet and Painted Lady will, I think, be the most problematic since they're unpredictable. I know from personal experience just how challenging the former is, and the latter depends on the 2018 migration year. Also, this isn't just about sourcing images - it's about personal observations and photos that we often forget to take (at least I do!) of nectar sources, larval food plants and habitat.

Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Pete Eeles wrote:
David M wrote:
Cryptic Wood White, Heath Fritillary, Mountain Ringlet, Painted Lady (!), Pearl-bordered Fritillary and Wood White....

- Pete
Alphabetical order, that's what I like to see, a man with a plan! :wink:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

bugboy wrote:Alphabetical order, that's what I like to see, a man with a plan! :wink:
:lol: And spreadsheets galore :)

Cheers,

- Pete

David M

Post by David M »

Pete Eeles wrote:Cryptic Wood White, Heath Fritillary, Mountain Ringlet, Painted Lady (!), Pearl-bordered Fritillary and Wood White.
Thanks, Pete. I was surprised to see Painted Lady in your list but upon reflection can see why. I guess you're right about Mountain Ringlet being the trickiest to document though. Good luck with that one!

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I would love to see these amazing early stages published in a reference book Pete. Your photography is first class and gives such a fascinating insight into the life cycle of our resident butterflies. If it ever happens I'll be one of the first in line to purchase a copy. It's wonderful to see this here but I've always loved leafing through beautifully illustrated reference books.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

The Red Admiral pupa photo is beautiful, I must look out for those in the future!

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks David / James / Katrina - and apologies for not acknowledging your replies sooner!

My PD is getting rather dusty but, as ever, there's always a lot going on behind the scenes (mainly writing a book!). Anyway, I managed to get to Pamber Forest today and found 6 Purple Hairstreak ova on a favoured tree, 2 of which were predated / parasitised. Some photos below. Now is probably the best time to look for PH ova since they'll still be relatively-white; with the passage of time, if they're not lost, they can become quite discoloured with all of the debris that flies through the air during a windy spell! If you know of a colony, then just look on branches of an oak at the edge of the woodland, that is south-facing, and that has plump oak buds.
2017-12-06-15.58.23 ZS DMap.jpg
2017-12-06-13.23.38 ZS PMax.jpg
Predated / parasitised
Predated / parasitised
Cheers,

- Pete

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Pete - even better when viewed enlarged :shock: :D In the 'parasitised' shot is the small object to the right of shot next to the egg the parasite/pradator - it looks vaguely like a bee/wasp or am I seeing things? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Wurzel!

I'm not sure what that critter to the right of the egg is. It was crawling around, and didn't emerge from the egg. Nature is just brilliant - always so much to learn!

Cheers,

- Pete

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Pete Eeles wrote:Thanks Wurzel!

I'm not sure what that critter to the right of the egg is. It was crawling around, and didn't emerge from the egg. Nature is just brilliant - always so much to learn!

Cheers,

- Pete
Could be a Psyllid Bug, they're normally found lurking and creeping around in nooks and crannies :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

It was the Purple Hairstreak that allowed many of us the rare opportunity
of close up views and photo's of what is normally a very elusive Butterfly.
Finding them basking at ground level was one of the real highlights of 2017.

All the best,
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful, detailed, close-up images there, Pete. There is so much stunning and intricate design in that part of nature that we can't properly see with the naked eye. Pictures like yours really bring it to life.

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Paul, Trevor, David - and apols for not thanking you sooner!

Isle of WIght

I made the most of today's sunshine by visiting various chines on the Isle of Wight looking for Glanville Fritillary larval webs since the larvae are now out of hibernation. I'm pleased to say that I found well over 50 webs (when I stopped counting) which equates to approximately 5000 larvae! I hope this bodes well for a good year on the island. Most larvae are still in their hibernating 5th instar, but some are now in the penultimate 6th instar. I also bumped into Andy Butler (Butterfly Recorder to the Isle of Wight) and Patrick Wood (BC staff) who were surveying the larval webs and had a good natter!
A shot to provide some context
A shot to provide some context
5th instar larvae
5th instar larvae
5th instar larvae with a 6th instar - easily distinguished based on the size of the head
5th instar larvae with a 6th instar - easily distinguished based on the size of the head
6th instar larva (mostly!) having built a new dense web
6th instar larva (mostly!) having built a new dense web
Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Pete the prospects look good for the Glanville Frits, thos red heads really are distinctive :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Wow! I didn't realise they made themselves so visible! There's no attempt at camouflage with these larvae...I suspect the black and red colours along with the sharp spines make a powerful statement of their own.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Very interesting Pete, I hope as you say this will be a good year for them. :)

Cheers

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Life Cycles of British and Irish Butterflies

I've not posted in my personal diary for some time, but thought I finally had something worth sharing! I spent a couple of hours today with Peter Creed (at NatureBureau, who publish under "Pisces Publications" and produced The Butterflies of Sussex) finalising the cover of my book - due out in October 2019. I know that sounds an age away, but it will come around soon enough! The timing is simply down to the time it takes to write the species descriptions (approximately one per week) and I'm about half way through.
cover.jpg
Mulling things over with Pete Creed
Mulling things over with Pete Creed
I'm pleased to say that I now have photos of every stage and every larval instar of all 59 species that the book will cover. Unsurprisingly, getting to this point has taken a huge amount of time and effort, involving a significant amount of travel and captive rearing to support this effort. I thought I'd share a few photos here to give an indication of what to expect but would like to thank everyone from UKB (and further afield) that has been so supportive over the last year. A special thanks goes to Mark Colvin and Vince Massimo who have reviewed every species description as it's been written. It's difficult to state the highlights thus far, but here are a few images selected at random since it's difficult to know what to post! Requests welcome :)
Small Blue
Small Blue
Northern Brown Argus - you can see the white dot!
Northern Brown Argus - you can see the white dot!
Essex Skipper
Essex Skipper
Chalk Hill Blue
Chalk Hill Blue
Large Blue - final instar
Large Blue - final instar
Capturing the Large Blue life cycle was a challenge for obvious reasons, but thanks to the support of Dave Simcox and Sarah Meredith, we managed to get everything needed for the book :) So - watch this space, as they say!

Cheers,

- Pete

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That looks like an utterly awesome read a real magnum opus :shock: 8) :D I've already put it on my Christmas List 2019 :D Huge congratulations on getting this far and so close to the end :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You are the next Frohawk!

Return to “Personal Diaries”