Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Trevor

Post by Neil Freeman »

Beautiful photos of the Purple Hairstreak Trevor :D

Although I saw a few high up around the tree tops as usual this year, there did not see to be so many sightings low down around my part of the midlands.

Cheers,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'd go for Herring Gull over the other species of large gull (Great or Less Black-backed or Common - which is actually anything but). The second shot shows the immature one which is a dirty grey colour. Distant and high birds are tricky but buzzards have a more 'chubby' silhouette and are less pointed if that makes sense? :? Hope this helped :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ps. are you coming to the Social next weekend?

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

In common with Neil Freeman's area of the UK, we in East Sussex had a spectacular
sunrise this morning. The full glory only lasted for a couple of minutes, I was lucky to witness it.
Unfortunately there was no clear view from my garden, so enjoy the trees as well !. :lol:
Attachments
P1140082.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

Today, Doug Neve and myself assisted Neil Hulme with clearance work in Rowland wood.
Before starting Neil kindly took the time to show us the work performed by the heavy
machinery operating on the site. New rides are being created and others widened
and cleared of scrub. This work will link up formerly isolated areas of the wood,
hopefully for the benefit of the Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, allowing them to spread into new areas.

It should be noted that for the time being Rowland wood is CLOSED TO CASUAL VISITORS.

Also the almost perfect weather today brought out three Red Admirals and three Brimstones
of both sexes. I managed a bad shot of a male and a passable shot of a female Brimstone.
Also these Butterflies have broken my personal record for a last of season Butterfly by four days.

Trevor.
Attachments
A November 22nd female Brimstone.
A November 22nd female Brimstone.
Evasive male Brimstone.
Evasive male Brimstone.
One of the newly created rides.
One of the newly created rides.
surveying the scene
surveying the scene
A chainsaw wielding Neil Hulme.
A chainsaw wielding Neil Hulme.
Last edited by trevor on Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Very late Brimstones, Trevor. :mrgreen: You were lucky with the sunshine - barely a second of it here today. Keep up the good work in the woods! :)

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

That's amazing Dave, we had a clear blue sky all day and it was very mild, though breezy.
I think it was the warmth that woke the Brimstones up !.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great work there Trevor :D I reckon the Brimstone was Nature's way of rewarding your sterling efforts :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Good on you, Trevor. It's always good to give a bit back after the months of enjoyment the butterflies give us.

That Brimstone was merely a reminder that there are more rewards on the way in 2018!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Today I helped out at Rowland wood again. This time Neil Hulme had a small army of volunteers
to assist ( over twenty people ). Much tidying and burning was achieved with three bonfires on the go.
A huge mulching machine was in action, this being one of the last tasks for the contractors on the site.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1330713.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Nothing like a good bonfire on a cold, crisp winter's day, Trevor. Well done again for helping out. I'm sure your labours will bear fruit next year.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Trevor
Well done on those late Brimstones. Maybe they had come out to thank you for all that work you are putting in :wink: . Keep up the good work.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Among the images obtained in the French Pyrenees, was my best, to date, image
of a Dark Green Fritillary underside. This one was taking minerals from damp, ground up rock.

A few days earlier I managed a closed wing shot of first ever Niobe Fritillary. This was found
very near to the Scarce Coppers I posted some while back.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1090654.JPG
P1330243.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Niobe Trevor :D :mrgreen: Try as I might I never managed to turn any of my High Browns form Czech Republic into a Niobe :roll: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Aah, the joys of butterflying on the continent!

Species are so commonplace that one only needs to spend a little time in the field to obtain images that would be practically impossible in the UK.

Fill your boots, Trevor. For a Brit, a little time spent near the Med is cathartic!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great shots Trevor, always interesting to see what's about in other countries. :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Wishing everyone on UKB a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a year full of Butterflies in 2018.

The shortest day today, so at least the hours of daylight improve from now on :) :D .

Best wishes to all,
Trevor.

John W

Post by John W »

trevor wrote: Wishing everyone on UKB a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a year full of Butterflies in 2018.
Merry Christmas to you too Trevor :D Look forward to seeing you at some point...

Cheers
John W

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Happy Solstice Trevor :D It only going to get better from now on :D

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a cracking New Year! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Today I saw a festive, end of year Small Tortoiseshell !.
It was on a bedroom carpet at the Bell Inn. I first thought it was dead,
but as I picked it up it fluttered back to the carpet. My Daughter said she
often finds one or two Butterflies upstairs in the pub. Being an old building ( 1740 )
I imagine there are plenty of nooks and crannies for hibernating Butterflies.

Happy New Year to all on UKB, :D
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sounds like there could be a few more hanging around - worth a check - you could always note where they are and then at 1 minute past midnight log them on UKB - first butterflies of 2018 :wink: :lol:

Have a very Happy and butterfly filled New Year!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”