Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Butterflysaurus rex

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Postby Butterflysaurus rex » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:24 pm

Wurzel wrote:It's horrible when good sites go to the bad Rex :( Could it be too late in the season so things have merged, done the deed as it were and passed on? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
It sure is Wurzel, although it was a bit late reasonably fresh ones were still being seen so I thought I had a chance of finding more than one.Apologies for the late reply loads of family stuff going on at the moment!

Neil Freeman wrote:Hi James,

Sad to hear of the demise of your old site.

I have to say, those Speckled Yellow on bluebells shots, not once but twice :mrgreen: :D These are lovely moths but a right pain to get a decent shot of, well done.

Cheers,

Neil.
Thanks Neil, I couldn't believe my luck having 2 Speckled Yellows staying put for me, I've been trying to get a decent photo of one for years and then suddenly I get two! Sadly it appears my old GHS site will never regain it's former glory but never is a very long time so I live in hope. Apologies for the late reply.

A whirl of pearls!

After a hectic couple of weeks full of family birthdays and other forms of craziness it is time to try and catch up on my diary. As has been reported elsewhere Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries are now back in Sussex. It's been absolutely fantastic to see these wonderful butterflies back where they belong. Like everybody else I am hugely grateful to the 'Fritillaries for the future' team for their enormous efforts and great dedication to this endeavour, it is a real privilege to know them all and enjoy their company in the field.

Here is a small selection of both Pearl and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary photos I took over the course of the spring.

Small Pearls.
1.SPBF.jpg

2.SPBF.jpg

3.SPBF.jpg

Pearls.

I'm reliably informed by Neil Hulme that this PBF (below) is ab.transversa when the small group we were in photographed it I forgot to mention that I'd seen this striking female earlier on being courted by an amerous male. I tried to capture the action in a sequence of photos some of which (to my surprise) were not just a blur!
PBF ab.jpg

The courtship.
1.PBF courtship.jpg

2.PBF courtship.jpg

3.PBF courtship.jpg

4.PBF courtship.jpg

5.PBF courtship.jpg

And finally communal roost.
PBF pair.jpg

Thanks for looking,

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Postby David M » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Lovely selection there, James, and well done with the PBF in-flight shots. That's not something you see every day.

Neil Hulme

Postby Neil Hulme » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 pm

I just love that last shot - it just screams "spring!"
BWs, Neil

bugboy

Postby bugboy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Neil Hulme wrote:I just love that last shot - it just screams "spring!"
BWs, Neil

and using your tip on eye size, would I be right on saying male left, female right?
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Neil Hulme

Postby Neil Hulme » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Yes. All the better to see you with!
BWs, Neil

Goldie M

Postby Goldie M » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:01 pm

Really great shots :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

badgerbob

Postby badgerbob » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:16 pm

Those butterflies not only scream 'Spring, they featured on Springwatch!!

Butterflysaurus rex

Postby Butterflysaurus rex » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:32 pm

David M wrote:Lovely selection there, James, and well done with the PBF in-flight shots. That's not something you see every day.
Thank you David, I've tried to capture this behaviour before but always ended up with disappointing results. These are the best I've managed so far, I'll give it another go next year. :D
Neil Hulme wrote:I just love that last shot - it just screams "spring!"
BWs, Neil
Many thanks Neil, it was really wonderful to see the Pearl-bordered Fritillaries having another great year. Long may it continue.
Goldie M wrote:Really great shots :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
Thank's for your generous comment Goldie, We have been spoiled with the Pearls this year. :D
badgerbob wrote:Those butterflies not only scream 'Spring, they featured on Springwatch!!
I was delighted when I saw they had used your photo from that day on Springwatch. We were very fortunate to find those 3 roosting Pearls, as we both know they are usually very difficult to find!

Many thanks to all for your comments, they're most appreciated.

ATB

James

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Postby Wurzel » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Great sequence of shots Rex - especially the in flight shots and the double header :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”