Summer 2012 Competition

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.
Ian Pratt

Re: Summer 2012 Competition

Post by Ian Pratt »

Worthy winners and very helpful feedback. The standard of photography now in the competitions is increasingly very high.Well done to all photographers. :)
Last edited by Ian Pratt on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Thanks to the judges for putting in the time to score and provide feedback on the images, and am chuffed to get in the top five when the competition is so tough. For me PhiliB's Gatekeeper was the standout shot for me, sharp across the whole butterfly while controlling the background very nicely - it's an awesome shot.

Cheers all

Bill
DeeDuBois

Post by DeeDuBois »

Thank you very much for the feedback - much appreciated.

I have only recently taken up photography and this was my first entry into any competition but butterflies make such beautiful subjects!

Well done to the winners and all other entrants - the standard is so very high :D
mattberry

Post by mattberry »

Thanks to the judges, several good shots in there so am pleased to have been chosen :)

The 3 that stand out to me are Julian's Chalkhill Blue, Fishiees Marbled White and the Gatekeeper by PhiliB.

Matt
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

I liked all the winning photos and also liked Simon69 ( comma), Badgerbob (wallbrown) and IainLeach (chequered skipper). Too many good photos to choose from.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Well Done to the top five and enjoyed all the Photo's but can you help me with the feed back as I'm still learning? What do you mean by noise :?: Is the picture too Sharp or not sharp enough :?: You also said Soft what does that mean :?: I sound abit dumb I know :lol: I've not a clue what you mean though :D Goldie :D
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

"Noise" is the same as "Grain". See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_noise

"Soft" is the opposite of "Sharp" in this context. In other words, the subject isn't very sharp.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank's Pete, I've looked at my Manual for my Camera and found the niose reduction . I had it switched off :D :oops: Also found the page on Soft, vivid etc, so we'll see what happens now. I thought I'd changed that but I was still on Custom which gives you choices it's supose to sharpen your Photo's etc. Anyway it's all part of the learning process, I should really go for some lessons I think in Photograthy :D Thanks for all your feed back it's really helpful Goldie :D
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

I particularly liked Rosalyn's Marbled White, technically very good indeed.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

I have just seen the winning entries from the Hampshire and IOW Wildlife Trust competition and in my opinion the standard of photography in UK butterflies' summer competition is of a higher quality. I would particularly value any comments on the insect category. See what you think- http://www.hwt.org.uk/pages/photocomp2012.html
john starkey

Post by john starkey »

Hi All,i have just returned form holiday and had a look at the results,congrats to all those who entered,all very good image's,well done to the top 5 placing's very worthy indeed,i look forward to entering in the near future,

regard's John.
Julian

Post by Julian »

Thanks for the votes folks. Sorry to have been so tardy in responding but I have been away and then family illnesses have forced me to forget hobbies for a while. Nonetheless, I was very pleased to get 3rd spot and envious of all the other photo's and opportunities of 'being there'. All top 5 very good indeed indeed across the board there was a high standard in this competition.
Good luck for the next competition everybody. :)
Enough

Return to “Competitions”