Spring 2012 Competition

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.
Vickie B

Re: Spring 2012 Competition

Post by Vickie B »

I am wondering why the first three photos entred in the Anual 2011 and in this Spring 2012 competition have Winner Second and Third respectively against their entries. None of these photos were placed in the Anual 2011 competition, so is it a mistake in both cases? If so maybe it should be altered before it causes too much disapointment!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Vickie - indeed! Yes, this is the second time we've used that mechanism and I forgot about the unexpected result last time! Oops :oops:

Will make sure this is fixed for the summer comp.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Not sure now who did win this time.

Jack
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

The judging panel is meeting this evening. Watch this space :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Pete said:
I've just open a celebratory bottle of vino in anticipation of my certain first place :D

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

Jack Harrison wrote:Pete said:
I've just open a celebratory bottle of vino in anticipation of my certain first place :D
Jack
Don't worry Jack. It works just as well to dull the reality of nil points again..... :wink:
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks to Gary and Lisa for helping with the voting, and congrats to the winners and everyone who entered. As requested, we decided to provide feedback on every image entered. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so don't be too dismayed if you're not in the top 3!

Cheers,

- Pete

Top 3

1st
Nigel Kiteley
A hard shot to get, with an excellent background. Technically very good.

2nd
Iain Leach
Excellent shot and lovely colours and good background.

3rd
Trev Sawyer
A very different and artistic shot with a lovely diffused background.

Other Entries

Sussex Kipper
Good composition and background, and a great image. A little out of focus at the wing tips.

Antonym
Techically a good shot, but the background is a little "messy".

Reverdin
Nice composition and colours, although the image is very dark and the Chequered Skipper looks a little "dozey".

The Annoying Czech
Great idea. The photo looks a little "flat" and could do with some adjustment to colour levels. Possibly consider a portrait crop.

Vickie B
Nice colour contrast. An off-centre butterfly would look better (rule of thirds and all that). Also, the background is very "messy".

Nickkor
Nice crisp photo of the butterfly. The messy background is somewhat distracting, and the butterfly could do with more "space" around it.

Debbie
Nice photo, but is too closely cropped giving the butterfly no "space".

dadstafford
Good composition and background. Unfortunately, the butterfly has seen better days and isn't in focus.

scrumpydrinker
Excellent behavioural shot. Although the butterfly is too centered within the frame and the butterfly is slightly at the wrong angle. The backlighting also makes the butterfly look a little dark.

John W
A nice shot. Although the background is a little "busy" and the photo itself a little "grainy".

PhilH
Very nice shot and good composition. The whites look a little "blown out" on the wing fringes.

Rosalyn
A nice shot of this butterfly, but too tightly cropped in the frame.

hanuman
Nice colour contrast. Was the photo taken this spring? Anyway, the butterfly is too centered in the frame and very little light on the butterfly itself.

RobS
Technically excellent with good colours. Could do with a better angle of the butterfly (and twig) in the frame.

grumpy
Nice behavioural shot and colour contrast. Background a little noisy.

Craig
Nice close up, but too much of the butterfly is out of focus.

dadavinci
Nice colour contrast, but very dark (some post-processing could lighten the image).

Coxp
Good areas of focus. However, the butterfly is at a strange angle and in the middle of the frame.

briart
Good composition, but in very harsh sunlight.

Mycoman
Nice colours (butterfly, yellow, green). Although the butterfly is right in the middle of the shot and the background very busy.

dadavinci
Only 1 entry is permitted :) Nice shot, but needs sharpening .... and the butterfly is right in the middle of the frame.

GoldieM
Good behavioural shot, but the lighting is very hard and the frame too tightly cropped to the butterflies.

dadavinci
Only 1 entry is permitted :) Again the butterfly is too centered in the frame and could do with some sharpening.

Susie
Superb composition, but the photo looks a little "flat" and noisy.

Mick Bunby
Not a butterfly! Anyway, the background is a little noisy and the subject is too centered in the frame.

Jack Harrison.
Very interesting and clever. Top marks for trying something different!

johnb
Technically good, but the subject is a little too centered in the frame.

PhiliB
Very interesting shot that is trying to be different! Image looks a little dark.

Ian Pratt
Good composition and good sharpness. Distracting detail behind the butterfly.

buzzmik
The butterfly (which has a hole in wing) is too closely cropped and has a grass blade over the wing on the left.

Rfurness
Technically excellent, but too closely cropped (it would be better to see more of the plant).

badgerbob
Great early spring shot. Unfortunately, the butterfly is not at the best angle and the background is a little messy.

dannybeath
Nice shot. There seems to be a little too much orange sheen across the whole photo.

NickB
Very nice colour contrast and good composition. A little soft in places (right forewing).

PJ Underwood
Good colour contrast, but the head of the butterfly is out of focus (and there is a nick in the wing). Also, the background is a little "busy".
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

It was great to get some feedback; very interesting.
Well done to the winners and there are many pictures I am envious of.
Debbie :) :) :)
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Well done to the competition judges for very fair comments (although I don't necessarily agree with them all.) As a photo club competiton judge I know how hard it can be to judge competitions. I think the judges' decisions are excellent. :)
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It is very useful to read the comments on the various photos. They also provide guidance for entries in future competitions.

1. The most common criticism seems to be 'messy background' so, folks, I suggest you take an assistant to hold a grey card behind the butterfly. :)

2. After that, it seems to be very important for all the butterfly to be in focus. This means careful side-on position (use a set-square) and small lens aperture. Fortunately, the grey card will prevent the small aperture causing a messy background. :)

3. Good exposure with no blown highlights - that seems to mean 'don't try taking Whites' :roll:

4. Good colour contrast - again 'no Whites' but perhaps your assistant needs a stack of coloured cards to be chosen to contrast with the butterfly. e.g. green for Peacock, blue for Clouded Yellow, etc. :)

5. Composition - no butterflies to be in the centre! :) Rule of thirds and space all around is important.

6. Butterfly must be awake (not dozy). :!: This is difficult as, if you prod it, it will fly away if awake and, therefore, no photo but if it doesn't fly away then it is dozy and, therefore, no acceptable photo either!

Attend to these rules, and somehow navigate through point 6, and everyone should be 1st equal next time (providing the judging panel remains the same) :lol:

In the meantime, congratulations to the worthy winners - some super shots.

Mike
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Were you by any chance taking the Mickey Mike? :P :roll: :
....it seems to be very important for all the butterfly to be in focus. This means careful side-on position (use a set-square) and small lens aperture. Fortunately, the grey card will prevent the small aperture causing a messy background. :)
However, while out-of-focus wingtip is considered bad form, antennae presumable are not considered to part of a butterfly so it's OK for one to be out of focus.

Thanks for tip about the grey card Mike. But I beg to differ slightly. Plain colour is looks artificial. I think green with some splodges of brown thrown in would give a more natural background.

For those youngsters who might not know what a set square is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_square

Jack
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Woo-hoo! That was a surprise... I was delighted to get onto the podium and although it appealed to me, I wasn't sure my distant shot of the Common Blue would be to everyone's taste.
Congratulations to Nigel and Iain - great shots indeed. Of the others, I particularly liked NickB's Comma which almost looked 3D... the in-focus blossom near the butterfly being beautifully complemented by, yet separated from, the out-of-focus blossom in the background. Some useful feedback too - I have learned a lot since joining UKButts and appreciate the views of others about what makes or breaks a good photograph, be it positive or negative. Hopefully we can all continue to improve our photographic skills and at least try to capture a little of the beauty of butterflies (even though we'll never come close to the real thing :wink: ) .
PS: I think Mick Bunby's insect is an "Owly Sulphur" Owlfly (closely related to Antlions) - what a fabulous-looking creature :shock: Worth a trip to mainland Europe to see one of those I think.

Cheers,

Trev
Last edited by Trev Sawyer on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, Nick's photo is of an ascalaphid, a bizarre insect that I had never seen prior to my trip to France last year.

Interesting comments from the judges. I now see why the same people are ascending to the podium: they are aware of what constitutes a prize winning photograph (and they probably have the equipment to supplement that awareness).
Catteraxe

Post by Catteraxe »

A final observation to add to Mike's list - a couple of entries highlighted a 'hole in the wing' and a 'nick in the wing', so make sure the butterfly is perfect as well as the photo! :lol:
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

having looked at my 'Collins Insects of Britain & Europe', referring to page 135 - they have a picture that looks like unknown which is a An Ascalaphid ( related to ant lions).

Debbie :D :D :D
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Congrats Nigel, Ian, and Trev, all great images, as were quite a few others.

Yes very funny post MikeOxen, but perhaps you should instead of standing on the sidelines taking the pee, maybe actually enter, and show us all the results of your vast photographic knowledge. :wink:
Catteraxe wrote:A final observation to add to Mike's list - a couple of entries highlighted a 'hole in the wing' and a 'nick in the wing', so make sure the butterfly is perfect as well as the photo!
Stands to reason that a tatty butterfly will not make a good image. :?

Regards Gruditch
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

- but the background is a little "messy".
Couldn't agree more. As my subject was sitting on a pile of recently deposited cows**t, I'm not really surprised :lol: .

Well done to all who entered - some seriously Grade A shots.

Tony M.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Congratulations to all medal winners, but for me Trev picked up the gold. Very arty. :D
Neil
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Three cracking top photos, PBF being my personal favourite, and excellent judging imho. I also really liked Badgerbob's and thought Jack H's photo encapsulated everything about that special moment.. the standard remains awe inspiring and wonderful to see. :D :D :D
PS... Jack... if only the camera had been a canon..... who knows... :lol: :lol:
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Well done to all, there were many nice photos and I thought the comments were fair :D

Return to “Competitions”