November 2011 competition

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

November 2011 competition

Post by Gruditch »

Please note that, over the winter, various "themes" will be given for the competition. You may choose any photo you have so long as it's relevant to the theme (and is not restricted to photos taken during the month in question)! November theme is, Meadow Brown.

To enter the competition, please post a single image (1 post per member) as follows:

- Click on the "Gallery" link and then open the "November 2011" album
- Click the "NEWIMAGE" button
- Follow the instructions to upload a single image

To view the entries:

- Click on the "Gallery" link and then open the "November 2011" album

You'll be able to edit or delete your entry until 5th December. To do this:

- Select the "Moderate" link at the bottom of the image details
- Take the appropriate action

You will be unable to rate or comment on the image until the competition has been voted on. Comments and constructive critique are very welcome thereafter.

Look forward to seeing the entries roll in , good luck !

Regards Gruditch
Bill S

Re: November 2011 competition

Post by Bill S »

LOL, I just checked the Meadow Brown comp entries. Again, it appears as if someone has entered 3 images, and they don't look alot like a meadow brown! :D :D

Cheers

Bill
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

I wrote 1 post in red, and Meadow Brown in bold. :?

Regards Gruditch
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Voting is now open.

gallery/album.php?album_id=2124

Regards Gruditch
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Did you fancy opening the December competition any time soon :wink:
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

For several reasons, we have decided not to continue with the monthly competitions.

Regards Gruditch
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi John - I'm in the process of crafting a note to accompany various changes to UKB moving forward. With specific reference to the photo comps:

"One item that hasn't worked as well as we would have liked is the monthly photography competitions. We typically get very few entries, the voting mechanism is constantly under debate, and very few images receive comments that the photographer can learn from. And so we've decided that no more monthly competitions will be run from November 2011.

Instead, we plan to run 3 major photography competitions throughout the year. They will be spring (photos taken in the year up until the end of May), summer (photos taken up until the end of August) and annual (photos taken at any time). These competitions will each be voted on by a panel of judges. A prize will be awarded for the annual competition only.

Of course, any member wanting feedback on their images is always welcome to post in the gallery at any time."

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Pete
I am in full agreement with this change.
Over the years I have personally taken less and less interest in the Monthly Competitions.
A combination of some very strange voting (some truly magnificent images garnering very low votes, whilst others with little technical or artistic merit have scored strangely well), and a slightly confusing voting system didn't wear well with me.
I would ask however, that, as there is going to be less call on the time of the Photo Competition Administrators (mostly Gary I understand) I wondered if the judges could actually give a fairly brief critique of, not just the 1st to 3rd places, but also the next 3 or so best photos as well?
I seem to remember a few years ago that, following the competitons, the winner, and often others would give critiques of just about every image in the competitions. It would be good to see this happen again?
I think this would go someway to answering the fairly constant request for more feedback.
Perhaps a Thread in the Photography Forum entitled something like "April Photos for Feedback" would aid the continued improvement of the standards of photography on the site, without involving a competitive element.
This is, after all, a UK Butterfly website, not a Photography website.
Cheers

Roger
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Rogerdodge wrote:I would ask however, that, as there is going to be less call on the time of the Photo Competition Administrators (mostly Gary I understand) I wondered if the judges could actually give a fairly brief critique of, not just the 1st to 3rd places, but also the next 3 or so best photos as well?
Thanks Roger - yes, I should have said. There will, indeed, be more feedback from the panel.
Rogerdodge wrote:I seem to remember a few years ago that, following the competitons, the winner, and often others would give critiques of just about every image in the competitions. It would be good to see this happen again?
Agreed - but this isn't something I can guarantee :) Hopefully the new format will encourage this.
Rogerdodge wrote:Perhaps a Thread in the Photography Forum entitled something like "April Photos for Feedback" would aid the continued improvement of the standards of photography on the site, without involving a competitive element.
This is, after all, a UK Butterfly website, not a Photography website.
Completely agree - although it would be best for members to post their images in their personal gallery, and then request the feedback in the forum post you mention. I think!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Roger:
Over the years I have personally taken less and less interest in the Monthly Competitions.
A combination of some very strange voting (some truly magnificent images garnering very low votes, whilst others with little technical or artistic merit have scored strangely well), and a slightly confusing voting system didn't wear well with me.
Ditto.

Jack
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Ditto too. I used to like it when people commented on the photos on the thread rather than not doing it on the gallery images. Also saw that more people entered images than actually voted which doesn't seem right.

I prefer the new idea of having seasonal competitions, I like to enter them, but sometimes don't get a chance or get a good enough photo in one month to use it in the competition but with this way, have more opportunity to add a photo.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Susie

Post by Susie »

FISHiEE wrote:Did you fancy opening the December competition any time soon :wink:
Just assume you would have won anyway. :D
NickB

Post by NickB »

I agree with the comments above; so far as critique goes, it does depend on whether people are prepared to accept an objective assessment of their work by others and not take such critique personally! To improve, one does need to have an open mind and also accept that, in the end, it does come down to one person's view compared to another; there will never be complete agreement! I would also say that how a photographer judges a picture is different to how the general public may see that picture.....just look at Chris Packham's mumblings about Autumnwatch pictures that the public send in!
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Nick
The critique of a photograph should depend on the arena of presentation.
I think Packham is absolutely correct. If you reckon your photograph is worthy of display on the biggest live Wildlife TV programme of all time, you must be prepared for it to be criticised for a wing tip being slightly soft, or for a boring or clumsy composition.

If it is entered in a UKB competition, then the Chris Packham nit picking approach is again fully justified. By entering in a competition you are, after all, saying, "I reckon this photo of mine is the best that is going to be entered".
This may actually be why many people don't enter competitions - the extraordinary standards of our top half dozen superstars make it fairly daunting.
Even the tiniest technical or compositional flaw needs pointing out in order that perfection may possibly be reached next time.

Alternatively, if, and when, we set up the "Invitation for Critique" section, then a slightly different approach is needed. Here there will be three different reasons for posting an image.
1/ I think this is a pretty good image, but how do I improve it?
2/ I am not happy with this photo, how can I improve it?
3/ Isn’t this a great image?
In these instances I think a more gentle, constructive and encouraging response is needed.
Cheers

Roger
NickB

Post by NickB »

Hi Roger
Yep, agree- it does depend on the situation. UKB always encourages people to get out, take pictures of the butterflies they see and share them; that is what we all love. We should not discourage that by those pictures being dissected and analysed; I know I post pictures all the time that wouldn't stand-up to such rigorous examination!
However, there is a tendency on many public forums I visit for only praise to be given, even when the picture exhibits poor technique, composition or both! I would hate UKB to become an example of such an anodyne site! I value the opinions of those on this site who give objective advice - even if I don't agree with it sometimes :lol: . After all, what we are often talking about is the difference between a very good image and a great one!
N
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Thanks for posting those changes Pete, ditto for me too, I think the new system makes a lot more sense and am very happy to see the change. I've found that some times the pressure to get a photo for the monthly comp gets in the way of butterfly activities rather than becoming complementary to them if you know what I mean.

Cheers

Bill
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Congratulations to Philib 1st, Bill S 2nd, and Nigel Kiteley 3rd, and well done to all those that entered. :D

Regards Gruditch
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

I'm still laughing at that Pawpawsaurus' stuff. What a fail! My moral winner.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Well done all - I recognise that MB, Phil :lol:
N
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Thanks to all who liked and voted for my image, very happy to get on the podium :), Nigel's was my favourite but would have been much nicer if the forewing had been more exposed, in my opinion.

Cheers all and Happy Xmas everyone!

Bill

Return to “Competitions”