June 2011 Competition

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

June 2011 Competition

Post by Gruditch »

To enter the competition, please post a single image, taken within the month of June 2011 (1 post per member) as follows:

- Click on the "Gallery" link and then open the "June 2011" album
- Click the "NEWIMAGE" button
- Follow the instructions to upload a single image

To view the entries:

- Click on the "Gallery" link and then open the "June 2011" album

You'll be able to edit or delete your entry until 5th July. To do this:

- Select the "Moderate" link at the bottom of the image details
- Take the appropriate action

You will be unable to rate or comment on the image until the competition has been voted on. Comments and constructive critique are very welcome thereafter.

Look forward to seeing the entries roll in , good luck !

Regards Gruditch
FISHiEE

Re: June 2011 Competition

Post by FISHiEE »

Something I never noticed before...

In the comments screen, which is also the screen where you vote, the images aren't displayed at the full 800 pixel size, but are in fact reduced in size slightly to maximum 768 pixels high it looks like, and reducing the quality slightly as a result.

I might be being REALLY picky now, but can anything be done about that? I just uploaded an image and thought it didn't look as good as when I was viewing it in photoshop, and that's when I spotted the difference.

Maybe nobody else notices a difference, but it really bugs me now that my image doesn't look as good as at full size and I'm tempted to upload a smaller one so it retains it's size and quality! :lol:
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

FISHiEE wrote:Something I never noticed before...

In the comments screen, which is also the screen where you vote, the images aren't displayed at the full 800 pixel size, but are in fact reduced in size slightly to maximum 768 pixels high it looks like, and reducing the quality slightly as a result.

I might be being REALLY picky now, but can anything be done about that? I just uploaded an image and thought it didn't look as good as when I was viewing it in photoshop, and that's when I spotted the difference.

Maybe nobody else notices a difference, but it really bugs me now that my image doesn't look as good as at full size and I'm tempted to upload a smaller one so it retains it's size and quality! :lol:
Well spotted - that was a bit cr*p wasn't it?! Should all be fixed now - I've change the preview size and cleared the cache. Let me know if you still see issues.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Not having entered these competitions before, I have a question: I gather the pictures are supposed to be submitted anonymously, so does that mean you can't submit pictures you've already posted in other topic threads?

Also I'm sure this has been discussed before, but having anonymous submissions means you can't put watermarks on the images, which makes them ripe for harvesting. When I look at the galleries, there's nothing about copyright anywhere. Could there at least a catch-all somewhere in the gallery saying images are copyright of the submitter?
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

dilettante wrote:Not having entered these competitions before, I have a question: I gather the pictures are supposed to be submitted anonymously, so does that mean you can't submit pictures you've already posted in other topic threads?
No.
dilettante wrote:but having anonymous submissions means you can't put watermarks on the images
Depends what the watermark is!
dilettante wrote:When I look at the galleries, there's nothing about copyright anywhere. Could there at least a catch-all somewhere in the gallery saying images are copyright of the submitter?
Actually - I think this applies to the forums as a whole since photos aren't confined to the galleries. Anyone know what we need to do (from a legal perspective)?

Cheers,

- Pete
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Pete Eeles wrote:
dilettante wrote:When I look at the galleries, there's nothing about copyright anywhere. Could there at least a catch-all somewhere in the gallery saying images are copyright of the submitter?
Actually - I think this applies to the forums as a whole since photos aren't confined to the galleries. Anyone know what we need to do (from a legal perspective)?
As I understand it, you don't *need* to do anything, as copyright is automatic. But a copyright notice gives infringers no excuse for copying images, and a watermark on the image itself makes it doubly hard for people to help themselves to images without consent.

If people are posting images by hotlinking to their own sites, then they can easily add watermarks as they see fit. But if images are submitted to the galleries on this site as stock contributions or competition entries, they presumably need to be unadulterated, in which case some other way of acknowledging the contributor's copyright should be considered. And it should be made clear to the contributor and potential users of the images what rights the contributor is granting by uploading the images.
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Pete Eeles wrote: Well spotted - that was a bit cr*p wasn't it?! Should all be fixed now - I've change the preview size and cleared the cache. Let me know if you still see issues.

Cheers,

- Pete
Much better! :D
Julian

Post by Julian »

Technical issues...
Why when I click on a picture and click off, does the image to the right of it also get an extra view added to its tally? It doesn't happen if you click on the return to album link, or it seems, on the back arrow, but any other situation it appears that you ahve looked at another image...
Enough
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Julian wrote:Technical issues...
Why when I click on a picture and click off, does the image to the right of it also get an extra view added to its tally? It doesn't happen if you click on the return to album link, or it seems, on the back arrow, but any other situation it appears that you ahve looked at another image...
I'm pretty sure that the mechanism automatically pre-loads the next high-res image on the page to improve performance. I suspect this is the reason for any tally being increased which, to be honest, I don't see as a huge issue but will add it to the list of jobs!

Cheers,

- Pete
Julian

Post by Julian »

Blimey that was quick Pete! No not a huge interest, but I was curious.
Enough
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

VOTING IS NOW OPEN.

You have on till the 10.59pm on the 20th July to vote.

To vote, click on Comments: No comments yet under an image, then at the bottom of the page you will see Your rating: rate the image then submit.

In the interests of fair play, please try to vote. :D

Regards Gruditch
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Congratulations to Fishiee 1st, Andy Brown 2nd, ( must of had a great teacher ), :D and PhiliB 3rd, and well done to all that entered.

Rgards Gruditch
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks for that Gary, however it has been great teachers really, via both the last 2 years photographic workshops, yours and Lisa’s help post event last year and this picture was also with the help of Fishiee (John) in the software editing side after a great days master class.

So thanks to all
:D
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

There are strings of code that can be added to pages in HTML that prevent the right click option and stop people copying pictures. This only works to a certain extent. Anyone with decent knowledge of HTML can get around it. Not sure if the same applies for PHP on a website.

I guess a statement saying something as follows should help prevent photos being used without the owners permission.

Copyright of contributed images remains with the individual photographers and pictures may not be reproduced or downloaded without the written permission of the contributor.

This by the way is the statement on the Birguides website for their photo gallery of uploads.
Cheers Paul

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Paul. And where do you think we should place this text?

Cheers,

- Pete
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Pete

I guess if you want to put something on the site, then it would have to go on the home page to cover all images on the site. I however doubt that much stealing of images will occur due to the limited resolution and size of images used on the site.
Cheers Paul

Post by Goldie M »

Congrats to all the first three, talk about people stealing images :!: no fear of that with the ratings I get :lol:
Press on regardless is the saying, I will :D Goldie M
Susie

Post by Susie »

Congratulaions to the winners! :-)

Seems some people don't get the one entry only rule though :?
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

Susie wrote:Seems some people don't get the one entry only rule though :?
I noticed that, too. Maybe that particular rule should be made a bit more prominent?

Paul
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

:idea: Can I have some of the points from the second entry that shouldn't be there Please :lol: Goldie M

Return to “Competitions”