Clouded Yellow - Berger's ID tips

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Chris Jackson

Clouded Yellow - Berger's ID tips

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hello,
This is in fact a reply to a prompt by Celery in the Favourite Photo thread regarding Clouded Yellow ID tips.

Hi Celery, following your sightings in France this year, I'm by no means an expert on the matter, but I've picked up a couple of identifiers you may be interested in in order to discriminate between Clouded Yellows (C. crocea) and Berger's Clouded Yellow (C. alfacariensis). Excuse me if I state the obvious, but I have to start somewhere.
Your photos in the Favourite Photo thread are clearly of a male C. crocea.
The dark areas on the forewings are uniform. Male:
crocea11_13 male Marseilles urbain 01 Aug 2014 (1).JPG
Male C. crocea seen from the underside, by transparency, exhibits the same uniform dark shadow.
crocea7_13 male 17 Oct 2013 (cropped).JPG
Female C. crocea on the other hand has clear patches within the dark area. The area circled on the photo shows a dark band which distinctly isolates the clear patch from the ground colour.
crocea32_13 female Vitrolles scrub 24Sept15 (2aa).JPG
crocea32_13 female Vitrolles scrub 24Sept15 (2aa).JPG (59.16 KiB) Viewed 335 times
We should also consider the female C. crocea form helice, as the light ground colour seen in flight, can sometimes cause confusion with female C. alfacariensis. On the upperside of C. crocea form helice, we see the same distinct dark band as on the regular female C. crocea, circled in red here.
crocea5_13 female helice 03 Jun 2013 (1a).JPG
This effect is also visible by transparency on an underside view of female C. crocea, regular and form helice. Dark band distinctly isolating the clear patch:
crocea26_13 female helice 19 Oct 2013.JPG
If we now look at the female C. alfacariensis, we note that a view of the uppersides shows that the clear patch is not completely isolated from the ground colour. The dark band is incomplete:
alfacariensis2_13 female wings open Vitrolles garrigue 02 Oct 2014 (7).JPG
This effect is also visible by transparency on an underside view of female C. alfacariensis:
alfacariensis2_13 female wings open Vitrolles garrigue 02 Oct 2014 (1).JPG
Moral of the story, try to also get back-lit shots of the Colias genus.

Underside of male C. alfacariensis. In flight, the male is more of a pale lime green colour.
alfcariensis10_83 male Vallon du Cros 10Oct15 (1).JPG
Any observations are welcome.
Chris
David M

Re: Clouded Yellow - Berger's ID tips

Post by David M »

Good stuff, Chris. Few people on here have regular experience of both species but you are one and as such your observations carry a fair bit of weight.
celery

Re: Clouded Yellow - Berger's ID tips

Post by celery »

Thanks Chris - most helpful! :)

It's good to have my IDs confirmed. The main reason I was wavering was that my host during my vacation in Dordogne suggested that the individual in the landscape-oriented shot I posted in the 'Favourites' thread was alfacariensis - though to be fair to him he'd only taken a cursory glance at the pics.

Anyhoo - using your tips - here's what I hope are a couple of shots of Berger's male and female:
Berger's Clouded Yellow (Colias alfacariensis).jpg
Berger's Clouded Yellow (Colias alfacariensis) (2).jpg
cheers, celery
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/

Return to “Overseas”