Tree of the Year 2016 (saving a Hairstreak colony too)

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
selbypaul

Re: Tree of the Year 2016 (saving a Hairstreak colony too)

Post by selbypaul »

Hi everyone
Thanks so much for voting everybody. I now know the result, though I am sworn to secrecy.

More4 (Channel 4) are filming a documentary on all the shortlisted trees. They've already done some filming, but there is more filming today. It's certainly raising the profile of the overall campaign to save half of Sheffield's 36,000 street trees from being felled. Rumours are that the now famous elm is safe, but we have no official line yet from the Council, so the campaign continues!
Best Wishes
Paul
David M

Post by David M »

Irrespective of which tree wins, I sincerely hope that you (along with many others) have done enough to guarantee the survival of the Sheffield elm.

It would be beyond a travesty if it were felled even after the publicity it's had.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

David M wrote:Irrespective of which tree wins, I sincerely hope that you (along with many others) have done enough to guarantee the survival of the Sheffield elm.

It would be beyond a travesty if it were felled even after the publicity it's had.
Agreed, and thanks for your kind thoughts.

I fear, sadly, that recent insider news suggests we won't be successful. Unbelievable yes, but the mentality of the local council, and the financial incentives of the PFI contract are even more unbelievable
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Hi everyone
Just thought I'd email you to let you know that the Tree of the Year competition tv programme is on Channel 4 at 8pm on Saturday 17th December.

The Chelsea Road Elm tree and I are featured quite a bit from what I'm told although I'll see it for the first time on the night.

Filming also included drone footage of the canopy above the tree and ribboning of trees on a nearby road as part of their feature on the wider Sheffield street tree campaign. Not sure if this footage will make the final cut but I'm very much hoping so!

I can't tell you exactly where the tree finished in the competition, but it did very well. As a result we have secured £500 to spend on the Elm Tree.

A huge thanks to all who voted and encouraged others to vote. An amazing result for our very special amazing tree.
Best wishes
Paul
David M

Post by David M »

Well done to you, Paul, for all your efforts to publicise a tree worthy of countrywide respect.

I'll be tuning in although it'll be with a stiff drink in hand, as I fear my 'dander' may be raised above its normal tolerance levels.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

David M wrote:Well done to you, Paul, for all your efforts to publicise a tree worthy of countrywide respect.
Hear, hear! If it weren't for the type of commitment that you have shown, Paul, I don't know what we'd do!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Thankyou Peter and David for the kind words and to all of those who voted!

Very much looking forward to the programme on Saturday

Return to “Conservation”