Dingy Skippers - do you know any better sites than this?

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
ferny

Dingy Skippers - do you know any better sites than this?

Post by ferny »

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum so apologies if this ought to be posted in sites - I wasn't sure.

Anyways - I'm responsible for managing a brownfield site in North East Wales which boasts counts of around 250 dingy skippers on the right day. The last site I managed did have them (and grizzled), but nowhere near those numbers.

I know this is high, but I was hoping you might be able to help me with a bit of context. Have you encountered anything similar anywhere else? Or even bigger colonies? And if so, where abouts and what sort of habitat please? I'm super curious.

Cheers!
MikeOxon

Re: Dingy Skippers - do you know any better sites than this?

Post by MikeOxon »

Welcome to the forum, though I can't help much with your question. A lot would depend on the size of the site, as I'm sure there would be large sites in the South which could boast similar numbers. They are pretty widespread on chalk downland. Numbers do fluctuate, depending on Spring weather and, like most species, I didn't see as many around here this year as usual. Hopefully, others here may have more information.

Mike
Catteraxe

Post by Catteraxe »

Hi ferny,

Could we have the name and location of your site? We'd like to add it to our site listings if possible.

Thanks,

Kevin.
ferny

Post by ferny »

Hi guys - thanks for the responses so far :).

The site is called Rhydymwyn Valley Nature Reserve, located in Rhydymwyn, Nr Mold, Flintshire, Wales. The site has a species list of around 29 (a couple of potentially doubtful records), and on the right day you can see literally over 1,000 butterflies...albeit mostly meadow browns, ringlets and gatekeepers ;).

It has managed access - if you want to visit and you're not a member of one of the stakeholder groups you'd need to contact the gatehouse and speak with Dave, the site manager, to sort out permissions. If anyone does want to visit please drop me a line at pfurnborough@newwildlife.org.uk and I can let you know what's been seen recently - we've got a couple of really excellent volunteers who do weekly BMS surveys throughout the season so I get real time data.

Best,
Ferny
Catteraxe

Post by Catteraxe »

Hi ferny,

Great stuff, I'll add Rhydymwyn to our sites list. I also note White Letter Hairstreak, Small Heath and Grayling at the reserve. Are you able to supply a full species listing (ignoring any doubtful sightings)? Thanks again and apologies for all the requests!

Kevin.

Return to “Conservation”