Protection of Elm Tree and White Letter Hairstreak colony

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
selbypaul

Re: Protection of Elm Tree and White Letter Hairstreak colon

Post by selbypaul »

Sadly, those to blame have been named and shamed extensively on social media, in newspapers, on local radio and on national and local TV. The trouble is that there is no competition for the council seats in Sheffield. The majority vote "red" because their parent and grandparents voted "red" and will always vote "red" no matter what.

This failing democracy and lack of threat of being voted out means the councillors can do pretty much anything they want. Good chunks of what they've said and done this last two years has been proven through FoI requests to be illegal and/or lies. But this doesn't matter at all sadly
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

selbypaul wrote:Sadly, those to blame have been named and shamed extensively on social media, in newspapers, on local radio and on national and local TV. The trouble is that there is no competition for the council seats in Sheffield. The majority vote "red" because their parent and grandparents voted "red" and will always vote "red" no matter what.

This failing democracy and lack of threat of being voted out means the councillors can do pretty much anything they want. Good chunks of what they've said and done this last two years has been proven through FoI requests to be illegal and/or lies. But this doesn't matter at all sadly
Seems to be the case as I didn't even get an acknowledgement to my e-mail to Councillor Brian Lodge. Clearly he doesn't have any interest in the matter. I wonder why he chose to become a Councillor!!!
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Strangely, I did receive a response to my e-mail on Friday!!
Sadly it was a generic response apologising for the way the Council handled the early morning start to the tree felling and the consequential objections from local residents.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Thanks for trying though Nick. Every extra bit of hassle we cause the Council slowly but surely drains their energy fighting us. We've slowed their progress in felling trees to an absolute trickle. They're currently averaging about two trees a week, and they need to fell around 1000 before March 2018, so our efforts are currently working.

Letters and further media attention, such as the Tree of the Year programme this Saturday also help

Return to “Conservation”