Releasing adult lepidoptera

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
peterc

Releasing adult lepidoptera

Post by peterc »

I purchased a lepidopterist rearing kit from a well-known dealer because I wanted to have a go at breeding butterflies myself which I last attempted when I was a kid many years ago.

In the pack there were 5 pupae (4 moths only 2 of which are resident in the UK) and the Map butterfly as well as several eggs of a silkmoth native to the Far East. Shouldn't the dealer send me only UK stock? I can understand it if some exotic and/or foreign stock was sent to a butterfly house or farm. What do I do when adults for the non-native butterflies and moths emerge?

ATB

Peter
jasonbirder

Re: Releasing adult lepidoptera

Post by jasonbirder »

Somewhat cynically i'm tempted to say...just release them...as every other b*gger seems to!
:x
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

peterc wrote:I purchased a lepidopterist rearing kit from a well-known dealer because I wanted to have a go at breeding butterflies myself which I last attempted when I was a kid many years ago.

In the pack there were 5 pupae (4 moths only 2 of which are resident in the UK) and the Map butterfly as well as several eggs of a silkmoth native to the Far East. Shouldn't the dealer send me only UK stock? I can understand it if some exotic and/or foreign stock was sent to a butterfly house or farm. What do I do when adults for the non-native butterflies and moths emerge?

ATB

Peter
This article might help: http://www.dispar.org/reference.php?id=87. In short, it's illegal to release non-native species: "In England and Wales, releasing is covered by the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981). Under section 14(1) of the act it is an offence, without a permit, to "release or cause to escape into the wild" any animal which "is of a kind which is not ordinarily resident in and is not a regular visitor to Great Britain in the wild state".

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
peterc

Post by peterc »

Thanks Pete, for the excellent and informative article but unfortunately it doesn't really answer my question. I suppose I will just have to keep any non-native adults which emerge, in the house until they die :? Sad really.

I understand the educational value of captive rearing which is why I am taking it up but does anyone have any thoughts on dealers selling non-native stock to private or non-licensed individuals? Unless I am being ignorant, it seems irresponsible to me.

ATB

Peter
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

peterc wrote:Thanks Pete, for the excellent and informative article but unfortunately it doesn't really answer my question.
Yes - I guess I told you what you can't do. In which case the options are to look after them until they die, give them to someone who might want them (e.g. for captive breeding) or give them back to the breeder. But, to be honest, even if you were to let them go, they wouldn't lead a productive life if they're unable to find another of their kind and procreate.
peterc wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on dealers selling non-native stock to private or non-licensed individuals? Unless I am being ignorant, it seems irresponsible to me.
I think, in general, there is very little information on the ethics of captive rearing - one of the reasons I wrote the article - especially since Lepidoptera are typically reared with the intention of them ultimately being released after (for example) their educational value has been realised. You could argue that dealers don't want to harm their sales by highlighting the pitfalls but, by the same token, I don't think it's their responsibility to question every potential customer of their motives or ensure that the customer has the knowledge to successfully rear the livestock through to adulthood.

Personally, I think the onus should be on the individual to think ahead and figure out what they're going to do with the resulting adults (and that includes adults of native stock as well) and act accordingly. What's missing is an awareness of the law, the ethics and the practicalities. Many dealers do recommend starting with native and widespread species, such as Small Tortoiseshell, which can normally be safely released into the wild.

Cheers,

- Pete
peterc

Post by peterc »

Thanks Pete.

I take your point regarding dealers. I made the mistake in assuming that the rearing outfit I ordered would contain UK pupae and eggs because the advertisement made no mention of non-native stock.

ATB

Peter
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Pete Eeles wrote:Personally, I think the onus should be on the individual to think ahead and figure out what they're going to do with the resulting adults (and that includes adults of native stock as well) and act accordingly. What's missing is an awareness of the law, the ethics and the practicalities. Many dealers do recommend starting with native and widespread species, such as Small Tortoiseshell, which can normally be safely released into the wild.
Releasing into the wild native stocks leads to problems. Apart from introducing new DNA from say a northern Large White into southern Whites there is the recorder's problem of meeting a bunch of local rarities released by some well meaning breeder and also unrecorded re-introductions of the type that have turned up in, for example, Oaken Wood.
With regard buying "native species" for breeding - how does the purchaser know that these are even from UK stock?
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

JohnR wrote:Releasing into the wild native stocks leads to problems.
Not always - see the paper mentioned above.
JohnR wrote:Apart from introducing new DNA from say a northern Large White into southern Whites
Given that the Large White is a mobile species and even migrates to our shores from the continent, I would imagine that the DNA is very much "normalised" across the entire population.
JohnR wrote:there is the recorder's problem of meeting a bunch of local rarities released by some well meaning breeder and also unrecorded re-introductions of the type that have turned up in, for example, Oaken Wood.
Which is why breeding of rarities, in particular, should be considered very carefully.
JohnR wrote:With regard buying "native species" for breeding - how does the purchaser know that these are even from UK stock?
Ask the dealer.

Cheers,

- Pete
Aughie

Post by Aughie »

There is a tropical butterfly house not far from where I live in Northern Ireland. I understand that they revive their stocks by post. I watched them one day supergluing pupae onto dowel rods for their incubator. Im sure they would take any tropical stock sent to a UK domestic situation.
Thee address is Seaforde House, Seaforde, Downpatrick Co Down Northern Ireland BT30 8PG

http://www.seafordegardens.com/

The lady there told me she was angered by people ringing her up and asking for boxes of butterflies to release at weddings including a hotelier who hosts parties a d social events. She said she pointed out that not only are they tropical species and would die but its illegal to boot.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Aughie wrote:There is a tropical butterfly house not far from where I live in Northern Ireland. I understand that they revive their stocks by post. I watched them one day supergluing pupae onto dowel rods for their incubator. Im sure they would take any tropical stock sent to a UK domestic situation.
Thee address is Seaforde House, Seaforde, Downpatrick Co Down Northern Ireland BT30 8PG

http://www.seafordegardens.com/

The lady there told me she was angered by people ringing her up and asking for boxes of butterflies to release at weddings including a hotelier who hosts parties a d social events. She said she pointed out that not only are they tropical species and would die but its illegal to boot.
grrr this butterfly release at weddings is just WRONG for so many reasons.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Chrles
As such a large percentage of marriages end in divorce and one partner inevitably gets stung [financially], why not some forward thinking and release wasps at weddings?

Jack
LauraS56

Post by LauraS56 »

Jack Harrison wrote:Chrles
As such a large percentage of marriages end in divorce and one partner inevitably gets stung [financially], why not some forward thinking and release wasps at weddings?

Jack
Love it!

Return to “Conservation”