Fritillaries for the Future PROJECT UPDATE

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
Neil Hulme

Fritillaries for the Future PROJECT UPDATE

Post by Neil Hulme »

Since the start of April my feet have barely touched the ground, in a mad rush to get this project up and running. An initial audit of what we have left in Sussex clearly shows that a mad rush is entirely necessary. When the maximum daily counts of Pearl-bordered Fritillary for each remaining site are added together, the total only just exceeds 100 – that’s a shocking figure! Of those 8 sites, either NO or just ONE fritillary was the maximum count on 3 of them, if you can call that a maximum. We may already be down to just 5 colonies; but remember what we have achieved with the Duke of Burgundy in Sussex, with a total annual count of 8 in 2005 rising to 1000 today. With your help it can be done.

Assisted by Mike (Butterfly Maker) Mullis, a captive breeding programme is now underway, for both Pearls and Small Pearls (pictured). I have already visited 24 sites to assess their suitability for natural colonisation through habitat improvement, expansion of existing populations, or re-introductions. Work will continue at full speed for the three years of the project. This is a golden opportunity – the last, best chance we will ever have to save Sussex Pearls. BC Sussex members will have received an appeal letter in June, asking for donations. Thank you to all who have responded, and in advance to those who intend to do so. For those who are yet to act, or who may wish to act again, please Text FRIT15 £5 to 70070 to donate £5 to help this vital work. If we lose these butterflies we will lose part of our spring.

Many thanks, Neil
FFTF Captive-bred SPBF in cop 3.6.15.jpg
Jack Harrison

Re: Fritillaries for the Future PROJECT UPDATE

Post by Jack Harrison »

please Text FRIT15 £5 to 70070 to donate £5 to help this vital work
Neil. You slightly flatter some of oldies. I know that texting must be easy as I see four-year-olds doing it. But I have never bothered to learn how to do so and in all honesty, I can’t be bothered to learn now.

How can I send a donation in an “old fashioned way”? Believe it or not, in spite of my shunning texting, I can manage a BACS transfer (but I have no idea what BACS stands for!) so I am not totally out of touch. So a bank account to send to would be ideal.

Jack
peterc

Post by peterc »

Neil,

Perhaps try the http://www.justgiving.com website to allow people to donate online using PayPal (I think :) ) for instance. OK, there are fees involved but I am sure you will receive a fair number of donations. Sounds like a great job you've done there and I hope to see those fritillaries in profusion one day in Sussex.

ATB

Peter
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Brilliant stuff Neil. I've said it before but you really should try and get this on Springwatch for some national coverage. Could even crowbar it into Autumnwatch talking about how the captive cats are hibernated ready to be released in the spring :D
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack and Peter,

I agree that there is the need to provide a further option, to cover all audiences. Although this is a useful addition to the armoury of fundraising tools, a gap remains for those who are not members of BC Sussex (who received an appeal letter with straightforward donation options), but who are uneasy about using this sort of technology for financial transactions. For this reason I emailed the Supporter Development Officer at BC HQ this morning, for guidance on a more traditional, additional option. I'll post that information here, as soon as the SDO gets back to me (not working today).

BWs, Neil
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Thanks Neil.

I AM a member of the Sussex Branch and might already have given - not sure.
The problem is that I am so wealthy that I don't notice these small donations on my bank statement amongst all the other transactions :D

BACS would suit me best. It is (I assume) perfectly safe.

Jack
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Jack. I'm pleased to hear of your financial good health!

For anyone wishing to make a donation to the cause, via a more traditional method, please post a cheque, made out to 'Butterfly Conservation', to:

Butterfly Conservation
Manor Yard
East Lulworth
Wareham
Dorset
BH20 5QP

enclosing a note that it is specifically for the Fritillaries for the Future project.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who wishes to support the project.

Best Wishes, Neil
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Just sent my text - easy :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Just sent my text - easy :D
Oh stop winding me up :) It's not easy to text if you don't even know how to spell Smart Fone.

Jack
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Thanks Jack - that made me really chuckle - or lol in text speak for you :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Interested to know how this project is going....??
chris
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

ChrisK wrote:Interested to know how this project is going....??
chris
Have a look on Neil's personal diary Chris :)
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4065&start=2460#p117030
Some addictions are good for the soul!
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Ah thank you!

Return to “Conservation”