After the Storm!

Discussion forum for discussing the weather, both now and predicted!
Willrow

After the Storm!

Post by Willrow »

South Wales was bashed by the worst April/May storm I can remember, gusts of up to 70mph caused widespread damage, the rain lashed down for almost 24 hours non stop. Yesterday morning I spent clearing up the remains of a garden fence that was strewn in tatters, a mature Pyracantha that I had topiarised was ripped from the garage wall also toppling a Japanese lantern of considerable weight as it fell, it never ceases to amaze me how destructive wind can be, even in a temperate country like the UK.

Chores done and the mess cleared up and the clouds showed some signs of movement just after lunch, so I grabbed my camera gear and headed to a favourite location deep in the Brecon Beacons to get some Pied Flycatcher and Redstart photo's. This favourite place has always produced at least a few Orange-tip to admire, but it was not to be, even on an afternoon that turned out quite pleasant in the sunshine, the temperature actually rose to 13c :shock: It's hard to believe that I've seen just two male Orange-tip this Spring!

All around the Beacons there are trees down, the conifers have really suffered, in the location referred to above at least twenty 50 feet+ Sitka Spruce have been brought down in an area with the perfect understory for several warbler species to nest. My disappointment turned to utter despair when I ventured to check out a Treecreepers nest that I've watched from it's creation, it was neatly tucked in behind the bark of a long dead Alder not far from the banks of a small river, the gale force winds must have got in behind the bark and ripped it away, the nest was found some yards away, my search produced two recently hatched dead chicks...I'm a lifelong naturalist, I take nature as it comes, in the raw, but I still don't quite understand what Mother Nature is all about sometimes, really sad :( only last week I had taken a few photo's of these delightful little birds near this nest.

I'm getting a bit frustrated about this weather and butterflies, most of my winter made plans for the spring species are now in tatters, I guess that last April's incredible weather was a classic British one off! Still as we all know, it can all change for the better in a short time :wink:

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
robpartridge

Re: After the Storm!

Post by robpartridge »

Hello,

here in Cambridgeshire we didn't get the wind damage but we certainly got the water! The Ouse Washes, about 200m from where I write, are now in full flood and this is a disaster for many pairs of Redshank, Snipe, Lapwing and some scarcer species, too.

We seem to have the April/weather issue running or at least 3 threads, but take a look at my post on What an April. I has assumed there would be no butterflies last Monday, the 30th; the numbers that I found after just a couple of hours of sunshine surprised me. However, a cold May now really will not help - and it isn't looking promising,

Rob
"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
Willrow

Re: After the Storm!

Post by Willrow »

Hello Rob,

Actually had a very nice spring day today, I saw 4 Orange-tip males, a couple of Green-veined White a Speckled Wood and a Small Tortoiseshell and the temperature hit 15.5C 8) I made the most of it, the next few days we have 'Be Prepared' warnings for South Wales again, must be grateful for small mercies, it's my best butterfly day since early last month.

There's been real concern on the Gwent Levels (Near Newport), the lagoons on which the Avocet are breeding are almost at their high water limit, I was there last week and at least three nests were at serious risk, the birds were sat tight with the water lapping within inches of them, only hope it has now subsided a little and they survive this crazy weather. I commiserate with your plight on the Ouse Washes, it seems to be generally similar throughout the country.

Thanks for the response to the thread.

Best Wishes,
Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk

Return to “Weather”