Rain

Discussion forum for discussing the weather, both now and predicted!
NickMorgan

Rain

Post by NickMorgan »

So has there been much rain over the last week or so in the south east? We have had more than enough recently that I would be quite happy to share with you to help with the hosepipe ban! I hope you have also had some to help resolve the drought.
Pawpawsaurus

Re: Rain

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

NickMorgan wrote:So has there been much rain over the last week or so in the south east?
Not much to speak of here in Hertfordshire (if that's considered the south-east). The weekend forecasts had been favourable in that they predicted substantial rain overnight Monday/Tuesday, but I don't think it materialised. Monday iteslf was showery all day, but none of the rain was heavy, alas.

Roll on, standpipes. :|

Paul
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

20mm over the weekend to this afternoon here in Surrey. The final insult was the lawn turning white with hail.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

What an incredible difference between this April and last April. On Good Friday I was hill walking in the Brecon Beacons in 4 or 5 inches of snow (checking out Ring Ouzel sites), whilst last April I was basking in glorious sunshine chasing flutterbys. Today all our rivers and mountain streams are in spate after yesterdays heavy rain, but at least the Dippers are enjoying it, again in total contrast to March which was one of the driest on record here in Wales...I'm becoming increasingly confused :roll: I cannot ever remember seeing a Bumblebee at over 2500 feet ASL in the snow :shock: yet I did on Good Friday!

I'm quite prepared for just about anything weatherwise now...(I hope I'm not tempting fate, cos' wind funnels can do all sorts of mischief you know :o :lol: ). During the balmy 'heatwave' in March I actually put sunblock on my face 8) in naive anticipation of more of the yellow stuff to come - yes folks...I'm a seriously confused fella now as you can probably gather by these ramblings...another bl**dy British Summertime :evil:

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, the contrast between this year and 2011 is amazing. Last Easter (which fell 2 weeks later) was as good as it can get. Temperatures in the mid 70s and cloudless skies.

I don't mind it being cooler and more gloomy, but not if there's no end to it in sight - which there isn't right now, unfortunately.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Well,i know most of the country is fed up of hearing about the 'drought' but we actually had a shower in East Anglia today, which caused the gutters to run for a few minutes.
However much we need the rain,the chill and lack of sun is becoming depresing,and i havn't seen a butterfly for about 2 weeks-any rare sunshine has come when i am at work! That short March fine spell seems a long time ago...
Susie

Post by Susie »

I got soaked yesterday in a shower and today we had thunder. On the plus side the garden plants are shooting up. :D
David M

Post by David M »

We seem to be having the worst of all worlds at the moment; not enough rain to ease the drought conditions yet appalling weather nonetheless.

The long range forecast isn't too encouraging either. Unsettled and cool conditions to dominate well into May!! :(
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Long range forecasts are garbage,mind.
Remember the 'barbecue summer' :lol:
And we haven't had a good one since...
David M

Post by David M »

True. I don't think they can really see more than 10 days ahead with any great clarity. They're usually spot on for the next week though, and looking forward to the weekend after this, there doesn't seem to be any relief offered.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Don't get too despondent David, the weather can change dramatically (for better or worse) in a short time, the long range forecasts are often way out, whichever way...there's now't we can do about it! Perhaps I'm fortunate in when the butterflies don't come out to play the birds more often than not do, guess we have to be flexible with the UK weather...or we most probably would go nuts...(not quite sure if I ain't already though :lol: ).

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

David M wrote:True. I don't think they can really see more than 10 days ahead with any great clarity. They're usually spot on for the next week though, and looking forward to the weekend after this, there doesn't seem to be any relief offered.

I find that the forecasts are often fairly accurate in overview e.g. general temperature trending up or down but can be way off in local regards. A good example being the forecast for yesterday round here which said for showers all day but I did not see a drop of rain all day and the afternoon turned out quite pleasant.

Don't give up hope, the weather this time of year can change quickly. Very much a wait and see what each day brings time.

Cheers,

Neil F.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I can't help thinking that when this patch of rainy weather breaks and we get some hot sunshine we're going to be in butterfly heaven with many butterfly species emerging en masse. :-)
David M

Post by David M »

I agree, but one wonders when that's going to happen. April has been a near complete write off. Even when it has stopped raining and the sun has emerged, temperatures haven't surpassed 12C. We're used to bouts of appalling weather in the UK, but to go 4 weeks is almost unheard of. It's getting to the point where I'm prepared to go out searching this weekend regardless of conditions!
marmari

Post by marmari »

i am sure that when the weather turns for the better the Glanvilles here will be bursting to get some sunshine.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

It's a bit worrying for those butterflies that emerged at the end of March. I wonder if there have been enough short sunny spells for them to make it through this spell of poor weather. Today could have been a December day here. Dark, grey cloud, wind, occasional heavy rain and only 7 degrees! :(
Susie

Post by Susie »

NickMorgan wrote:It's a bit worrying for those butterflies that emerged at the end of March. I wonder if there have been enough short sunny spells for them to make it through this spell of poor weather. Today could have been a December day here. Dark, grey cloud, wind, occasional heavy rain and only 7 degrees! :(
Agreed. My body clock is telling me it's winter again and I need to eat and hibernate! :lol:

There will definitely be a lot of victims of the current 'drought'- the ditches and stream banks around here are under water and lots of the cuckoo flower destroyed. The cuckoo flower by my pond has lost it's petals and i've yet to see an orange tip near it and there weren't any eggs last time I looked.

On a positive note I am hoping that by the time the adonis blues emerge the chalk downland will be lush with herbs and flowers in a way I haven't seen for several years.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I was wondering a similar thing this morning while driving to work in a deluge :( If we eventually get some warm, dry weather will we get a butterfly bonanza - or is that it for some of the spring butterflies? I know they're hardier than we give them credit for but can they hold out and slow emergence for three or four weeks?

What I find most annoying ( apart from the breaks being when I'm at work) is that it's only April and already I have a nasty case of Metitis :cry:

Have a goodun (weather that is)

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

I too have pontificated about such things lately. Orange Tips started emerging in numbers in late March and I suspect many of them were already on the wing by the Easter weekend. Since then though, conditions have been abject, with barely enough warmth and sunshine for them to even think about taking to the air.

Butterflies need to fly to reproduce, and even given the fact that emergence times are spread over a period of weeks, the last 20+ days have been SO appalling that one wonders how many Orange Tips have simply spent their entire adult lives sat tight against a sheltered cuckoo flower and have since died without leaving any progeny.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I've also been thinking the same, as posted in Nick's diary, where he had a good summary of the situation near him:

viewtopic.php?t=6065&start=1000

But to be honest, I am thoroughly fed up with the rain now. Most depressing. I got soaked on the way home last night too.

Lee
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Weather”