Could this be Spring?

Discussion forum for discussing the weather, both now and predicted!
millerd

Could this be Spring?

Post by millerd »

I've just spotted the BBC forecast for Heathrow for next Wednesday: 14 degrees and some sunshine. If this really were to come to pass, I'd guess there'll be a few butterflies yawning, stretching their wings and fluttering blearily into the outside world.

Dave
Susie

Re: Could this be Spring?

Post by Susie »

I do hope you're right. We gradually seem to be creaking towards spring. I saw sparrows and starlings nesting earlier this week and every day there seem to be more spring flowers out but it is very fragile at the moment. It's not too late for more snow to come and knock it all back again.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Not sure where you get your 14 degrees from Dave. I reckon 11C at best. But nonetheless, that is still above the long-term average of around 8 or 9C.

Jack
EricY

Post by EricY »

Plenty of flowers out now here in Norfolk/Cambs if you look in the right place. I visited Anglesey Abby (240 varieties of snowdrop) last wednesday. Also been out with the camera in my garden. So I put together a "February flowers-Harbingers of Spring" album on webshots. If anyone cares to view it is at, [url]http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... 5290oOknoK Eric
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nice pictures there Eric although I can't say I like the idea of a double snowdrop.

Pete will no doubt tell you the best way to embed a link in a message but I manage OK with a url prefix as you had done. That meant that there wasn't a direct click.

So instead:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... 5290oOknoK

Jack
millerd

Post by millerd »

Jack Harrison wrote:Not sure where you get your 14 degrees from Dave. Jack
That's what the BBC forecast on their website said at 2200 last night. I've just checked (1530) and they've moderated it to 13 degrees. And it's now going to rain. The Met Office seem to agree (though I suspect the former always follows the latter).

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

If the Met Office synoptic chart for Tuesday lunchtime proves accurate, there is certainly the potential for a strong southwesterly flow with pressure rising to the south over the subsequent 24 hours or so. Temperatures behind the warm front could rise markedly, especially if the sun comes through.

Note the two "ifs"...

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Current Met Office forecast for Heathrow 1500hrs Thursday 24th February: 14 degrees, sunny. Wind WSW, 10mph.
Naturally enough, I shall be at work...

Huh.

Dave
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

millerd wrote:Naturally enough, I shall be at work...
Guess who's got two days off work this Thurs/Fri!!! Oooh, is that a Brimstone I see before me... :lol:

Working weekends does have benefits after all :)

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Susie

Post by Susie »

It was a gorgeous day, and I was stuck in the orifice. Anyone know what Monday's due to be like? I have a feeling it could be a nice day and, if so, a trip to Wakehurst Place should be in order.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Likewise stuck to my desk. My weekend working has been taken away, and apart from the money, I miss the midweek days off. After 30 years of "unsocial" hours, Monday to Friday is horrendous! I hope others were able to enjoy the truly warm (14 degrees at least) sunshine.

Dave
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

In spite of splendid sunshine and 14°C on Thursday, I saw nothing when searching in the usual spots.

So maybe less annoying after all for those of you stuck at work.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

First Brimstone here in South Cambridgeshire 25th February 1050 hours. Wife spotted first and shouted to me to look out of window into neightbour's garden.

Nice early date here on the highest point of the county.

Jack
millerd

Post by millerd »

Perhaps it took one warm day to wake them up and the second to coax them out!

Dave

Return to “Weather”