Sad news about a UK Butterflies member.

Discussion forum for any relevant news not covered in one of the other forums.
jenks

Re: Sad news about a UK Butterflies member.

Post by jenks »

Thanks for posting this info re the funeral service, Phil. It`s much appreciated. I too will be at the service in Thornhill, hope to see you there.

Regards,

Jenks.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi All,

very sad news - I only found out today with the release of the Monmouthshire Butterfly & Moth newsletter. I haven't been here for a while, but I wanted to share a few memories and thoughts.

Firstly, Bill was the most wonderful company, meeting him would always bring a smile to the face. I always felt I'd known him for years. Periodically I would bump into him in South Wales or sometimes in England - usually while we were butterfly spotting in places such as Ewenny, Aberbargoed Grasslands, Penallta Parc (Mid-Glamorgan) or if in England places such as Haugh Woods (Hereford), I knew Bill was also deeply into his Dragonflies, but he had extensive knowledge of all of natural history and he was a joy to spend time with and chat too. I remember him showing me the Graylings at Parc Penallta and speaking about the local owls or the new wild-flowers that had self-seeded there. The last time I saw him was in Ewenny and I think he was just going back to catch the Rugby - he looked fit and well and was in good cheer as always.

I'm only sorry I missed the service, I would have gone had I known. I hope his family realises that he added so much to all the people he came in contact with - both on this site and no doubt elsewhere.

I know people will remember him - I'm posting a few images of Bill below, remembering the good times.

Best wishes to all,

Michael

Bill at Penallta Parc discussing owls (2011)
Bill at Penallta Parc discussing owls (2011)
Bill at Obersley Woods with me and my wife (also 2011)
Bill at Obersley Woods with me and my wife (also 2011)
RobS

Post by RobS »

I have only just come across this post...and the sad news, after a visit to Haugh Wood this afternoon. I can see why Bill loved it there so much.
I only met Bill once, at Whitecross Green Wood, he was there with David M. What a lovely gent. He will be missed..on the forum..and in the woods :(
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.

Return to “News”