Proposed changes to access to NNR's

Discussion forum for any relevant news not covered in one of the other forums.
LauraS56

Proposed changes to access to NNR's

Post by LauraS56 »

There's a proposal that access to NNR's should be fully open, including cycling, horse-riding and dogs. If you, like me, feel these places are special and that the conservation of the wildlife within them is more important than turning nature into another commidity for human use, you can sign this petition http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/s ... pen-access
Willrow

Re: Proposed changes to access to NNR's

Post by Willrow »

I'm unsure if this only applies to England's NNR's but I would strongly suggest signing this petition if you live in England, I've signed it although I live in Wales because I frequently visit and enjoy them and firmly believe they should be treated with the care, sensitivity and respect that the legislative title National Nature Reserve bestows - and not some public access park for all and sundry to despoil, they are after all designated nature reserves.

I wonder who's half-witted idea this is.

Bill :shock: :roll:

PS. I shall be checking with Natural Resources Wales (the recently combined Forestry Commission Wales, Countryside Council for Wales and DEFRA) that has charge for all NNR's in Wales, to see if this proposal affects Wales, however, I will be very surprised if it does.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
NickMorgan

Re: Proposed changes to access to NNR's

Post by NickMorgan »

As far as I am aware in Scotland the Land Reform Act, which gives a right of non-motorised access to the countryside, also applies to National Nature Reserves. The rights come with responsibilities and it is up to individuals to make sure they don't cause disturbance to wildlife or damage to the paths. In reality this is very difficult to police, but I haven't heard of any issues in nature reserves. The main issue there has been here is an increase in "wild camping" in the National Parks.
We are trying to ban dogs from a local nature reserve here, but this requires a local byelaw, which would need to have the concent of the Scottish Government. Local management rules could be used, but they are almost impossible to enforce.
The real difficulty is finding concrete evidence that a dog has caused disturbance.

Return to “News”