Holiday to Spain 2017 part 1

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Holiday to Spain 2017 part 1

Post by Philzoid »

Whenever I go on a family holiday these days the first thing I look for is its potential to satisfy my main leisure interest of looking for butterflies and wildlife in general. Therefore, I wasn’t too optimistic on the outcome of an August holiday to southern Spain in the grip of a heat-wave. For sure I would get to see some butterflies but how would it compare to my August holiday in the midi Pyrenees in France or even the one to the same location in Spain but in late December :?
My concerns to some extent were founded but with a bit more effort and leg-work it proved to be a very rewarding experience. My finds would be better served on a website entitled “Spanish Insects” (with bits of other flora and fauna thrown in) rather than UK butterflies so I hope you won’t mind that butterflies will only represent about 2/3 of the pictures I will be showing :) .

My daughters’ interests in butterflies amounts to no more than a casual one these days as hand held devices hold sway :( . This has its spin-offs on occasion when their increasingly technically challenged and technophobic dad (me) needs help finding his way. My eldest is a valuable co-pilot on uncharted car journeys and in helping me unravel the meanings on websites with their multitude of rules and conditions, basically all the information that accompanies everything (that is deemed necessary for one to function effectively in the modern world) that I’m trying get away from :roll: :wink: . One example on this holiday was I’d brought along my favourite CD music discs only to find the hire car didn’t have a player :x . No matter, my daughter downloaded the tracks on her mobile and blue-toothed them in (whatever that is). The only catch was she put in a load of her own stuff into the playlist too :cry: .

Anyway, before I stray even further off topic: - …. For this holiday, I took three cameras: - my Canon D600 with a Sigma 70mm macro and 1.4x convertor (for insect close-ups), my Panasonic Lumix FZ/72 with its 20 -1200x zoom for birds (and awkward butterflies) and my Panasonic Lumix G3 (14 – 42mm lens) for the holiday snaps. The latter is the one I tend to hand over to the others when I’m feeling burdened with three cameras around my neck (cos it’s the least liked of the lot). I normally take a Canon D1100 but the EOS 18-55mm IS lens is on the blink and I couldn’t stomach shelling out for another (wished I had in hindsight).

05/08/17 Midday.
The first thing that’s apparent when you arrive at your destination and leave the confines of the car is the sound of the Cicada. It could be described as music to a naturalist’s ears or as an annoying incessant din :?: . Whatever, it didn’t take me long to locate one and get off a snap. Cicada’s featured a lot during my holiday and turned out to be one of the commonest insects (even) seen.
A 2017.08.05 P1020346 Cicada sp. (orni), Outside Santa Cruz reception area, CLC Fuengirola t.jpg
Another insect which caught my attention while we waited to our apartment to be readied, was the little Orange Drop-wing dragonfly (Trithemis kirbyi) by the reception fountain.
B 2017.08.05 P1020383 Trithemis kirbyi, Orange-winged Dropwing, Nr. Santa Cruz roadside fountain, CLC, Fuengirola g t.jpg
I explored the main resort reception area gardens before our transfer to Las Farolas was finalised but didn’t see any butterflies and was hoping it wasn’t a sign of things to come :? . Our apartment was on the ground floor of a block of 12 and looked out across a well-tended garden and swimming pool. The eye-line was thankfully uninterrupted through a promising looking area of waste ground up to La Cala Mijas on the coast. A smashing view to be fair :D .
C IMG_8395 View from apartment 4 Las Farolas, CLC.jpg
The only problem with Las Farolas was its isolation from the main complex with its reception, shops bars and restaurants, realistically only accessible by driving to it.

I looked forward to exploring the waste ground area (which I will call “My Patch 1” (MP1) in future references), but initially the garden needed checking out. As anticipated (thankfully) the usual suspects turned up: - Cacyreus marshalli; Geranium Bronze; Zizeeria Knysna (African Grass Blue) and Parage aegeria aegeria (Speckled Wood), the latter proving the most difficult to photo. In fact, in the baking heat virtually all the insects were alert, moved fast and the strong light and shadows made it a challenge to photo them. Therefore, some of the photo quality in these postings is not up to scratch :| .
Geranium Bronze
Geranium Bronze
African Grass Blue
African Grass Blue
F 2017.08.06 IMG_7814 Parage aegeria aegeria, Speckled Wood, globe light, Las Farolas gardens.jpg
G 2017.08.06 IMG_7823 Parage aegeria aegeria, Speckled Wood, Las Farolas gardens.jpg
A large part of the garden was down to lawn made from a coarse-leaved grass. On this grass, I often saw small groups of the tiny African Grass Blues flitting around only inches from the surface. It took a few days in before I got a reasonable pic though (plus I hate having to get down to ground level these days).
Another insect(s)/insect group to note were the wasps. There were tonnes of them but mainly of Polistes sp. (paper wasps). Every morning the gardener fished out their drowned corpses from the swimming pool. Never felt threatened from any of the wasps I encountered although there were a few big blighters :) .
H 2017.08.05 IMG_7787 Polistes sp. wasp, Las Farolas gardens.jpg
06/08/17.
The next morning, I was up at sunrise while the others slumbered, made a cup of tea, sorted out my cameras and went out to explore MP1. It was still too early and cool for the Cicada’s to be out of their slumbers but it didn’t take long for them to get going. Like an orchestra warming-up the drone increases until they’re all at it. After the holiday, I concluded that there was more than one species but predominantly it was Cicada orni that I was seeing.
I 2017.08.06 IMG_7832 Cicada sp. (orni), MP1 t.jpg
The area that I was in was rocky underfoot and covered in an impenetrable amount of weird and wonderful thorny plants (ironically the worst one turned out to be the bramble (is there anywhere where this plant doesn’t grow :roll: :lol: ))
Blue-banded bee species
Blue-banded bee species
After photographing the Amegilla sp. Blue-banded Bee (a species of which I’d seen in Tenerife) (nectaring on Carthamus arborenscens Yellow Woody Thistle (I think) a very common plant which provided a useful nectar source for many insects) I found a better area of MP1 to explore, one which had a track running through it and where the vegetation was less dense :D . Soon afterwards I discovered my first butterfly away from the apartment, an overgrown ‘Grizzled Skipper’ which I think is Pyrgus cirsii (Cinquefoil Skipper … a lifer) but would welcome confirmation on that one :) . This was quickly followed by a Pyronia cecelia (Southern Gatekeeper ..a probable lifer (have never been 100% on the one in France)): a lolloping Brown butterfly which preferred to stay close to ground and try and hide rather than fly away.
Pyrgus cirsii (or not?)
Pyrgus cirsii (or not?)
L 2017.08.06 IMG_7881 Pyronia cecelia, Southern Gatekeeper, MP1.jpg
Anyone have an i.d for this assassin bug please?
Anyone have an i.d for this assassin bug please?
Moving along the path/track on a slight elevation the vegetation thinned out and stony ground became populated by bushes that looked like they were dripping with dew but which turned out to be a clear sticky resin :o . I then spotted a huge black bee collecting nectar but it proved difficult to photo in focus. The wings at the right angle of light showed up as electric blue … a violet Carpenter Bee :D
N 2017.08.06 IMG_7887 Xylocopa violacea, Carpenter Bee, MP1 t.jpg
I’ve since read a little about these insects. Apparently, they have started to establish in the UK and are reputed to be gentle giants (which I’m sure they are) but my impression was that if they could speak they’d tell you to “get lost”. They were fully aware of your pursuing presence and if you persisted in getting in close would occasionally face you off or fly towards you (enough to make you back off). I’m not going to mess with a huge bee whatever it reputation :lol: .
On my way back to the others, I came across the or another Cinquefoil Skipper and a couple of Southern Gatekeepers. Just before exiting a Scarlet Darter (Crocothemis erythraea) presented itself for its picture.
O 2017.08.06 IMG_7911 Pyrgus cirsii, Cinquefoil Skipper, MP1 t.jpg
P 2017.08.06 IMG_7897 Pyrgus cirsii, Cinquefoil Skipper, MP1 t.jpg
Q 2017.08.06 IMG_7919 Pyronia cecelia, Southern Gatekeeper, MP1 gi t.jpg
R 2017.08.06 IMG_7916 Pyronia cecelia, Southern Gatekeeper, MP1 g t.jpg
S 2017.08.06 P1020449 Crocothemis erythraea, Scarlet Darter, MP1 t.jpg
24 hours in and 5 species so far … not bad. Next port of call for me and the family was the lovely little hill-town of Mijas.

07/08/17 .... was a repeat of the previous morning with me going further along the track in MP1. Throughout all my explorations I was trying to get photos of the birds but the few that I saw were very elusive or in the case of flew too fast to capture. Many were common species seen in the UK such as House Sparrow, Blackbird, Collard Dove and Woodpigeon. There were often little groups of finches comprising of Greenfinch; Goldfinch and Serin (the latter I’d not seen before). Flying around at first light were House Martins; Swifts; Barn Swallows and Red-rumped Swallows (the latter new to me). I went out further along the track which after the elevation, descends pretty sharply towards the main South coast road artery, the “A-7”.
Note: -Coming back from Mijas the evening before, I’d taken a wrong exit and ended up on the parallel toll road the “AP-7” (virtually no cars and seemingly no speed limits) which cost me 4Euros and 68 cents not to mention the extra fuel and lost time :oops: . Sussing out all the relevant turn-offs to and from the A-7 took a few days to achieve.
It was then that I spotted my next amazing creature: - Argiope lobata a huge wasp spider sitting in the middle of its large web.
T 2017.08.07 IMG_7967 Argiope lobata, Lobed Wasp Spider, MP1 g.jpg
U 2017.08.07 IMG_7968 Argiope lobata, Lobed Wasp Spider, MP1 g.jpg
The grasshopper and lacewing below are probably some of the wasp spider’s prey. If anyone can identify them that would be appreciated :)
V 2017.08.07 IMG_7950 Grasshopper, MP1.jpg
W 2017.08.07 IMG_7980 Lacewing sp. MP1.jpg
I was at a dead end of MP1 so made my way back and encountered the same or another ‘Cinquefoil Skipper’ in the same area as the previous day. The butterfly never moved far and was one of those species you could approach carefully to get in close.
X 2017.08.07 IMG_7984 Pyrgus cirsii, Cinquefoil Skipper, MP1 t.jpg
Y 2017.08.07 IMG_7989 Pyrgus cirsii, Cinquefoil Skipper, MP1 t.jpg
Z 2017.08.07 IMG_7997 Pyrgus cirsii, Cinquefoil Skipper, MP1 t.jpg
Satisfied I’d taken enough pictures I moved onto a male epaulet Dragonfly which had come into the area.
ZA 2017.08.07 IMG_8007 Orthetrum Chrysostigma, Epaulet Skimmer, MP1 t.jpg
I didn’t stay long with the dragonfly however as I spotted another butterfly (or was it a cicada or grasshopper? …sometimes it was difficult to tell). It was a butterfly, another skipper a plain-marked and a faster flying one too: Gegenes nostrodamus: - the Mediterranean Skipper :D .
ZB 2017.08.07 IMG_8011 Gegenes nostrodamus, Mediterranean Skipper MP1 t.jpg
ZC 2017.08.07 IMG_8016 Gegenes nostrodamus, Mediterranean Skipper MP1 vg t.jpg
ZD 2017.08.07 IMG_8018 Gegenes nostrodamus, Mediterranean Skipper MP1 g t.jpg
So another successful foray into the thorny wilderness :D … 6 species my tally now with more to come later on in the day (part 2)
Philzoid

Re: Holiday to Spain 2017 part 1

Post by Philzoid »

After viewing some more of my images I've had second thoughts about the 'Cinquefoil Skipper'. It may be Muschampa proto or Sage Skipper :?:

Phil
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Phil,
I'll go with Sage Skipper. It looks like those that fly in the South of France. A nice find. A lifer for you ?
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, Sage Skipper seems the perfect match, and given that Chris has plenty of experience with this species, I'm sure he's right.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Thanks for your comments guys ... always welcome :) . I was never convinced I had Cinquefoil Skipper hence the question mark and request for i.d assistance. I’d had suspected Sage skipper and when going through one of my later pictures I thought the butterfly was on a sage plant which alerted me to go back and look again.
Chris Jackson wrote:A lifer for you ?
Yes Chris, both the Mediterranean and Sage skippers are lifers :D . My only other non-UK skippers are Pygus malvoides (Southern Grizzled Skipper) and Carcharodus alceae (Mallow Skipper).

I have a few more ‘Grizzled Skipper' pics to show including some slightly blurred undersides but I now suspect that they are all Sage Skippers :|

Phil
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

A useful ID point to know for sage skippers, if you have undersides to confirm, is that they lack a pale spot at the base of s.1 on the underside of the hindwing. You can see this in both the underside shots above.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Padfield wrote:A useful ID point to know for sage skippers, if you have undersides to confirm, is that they lack a pale spot at the base of s.1 on the underside of the hindwing. You can see this in both the underside shots above.
Thanks Guy :)! I'll make sure to check the others before I post and make any corrections where necessary.

Some of my blues may the corrective treatment too (hope they do, otherwise they are all icarus)

Phil
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I was paddling in the sea at La Cala a few months back, in rather more wintry conditions than you will have had. In winter the rocky parts of the beach are frequented by turnstones. I remember small whites and very fluttery blues which would never settle anywhere that would allow a good look at them.

Zizeeria is a favourite of mine but next to impossible to photograph, as it is too small to find when it goes to ground.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Matsukaze wrote:In winter the rocky parts of the beach are frequented by turnstones
Hi Matzukaze. Yes, Turnstones were a feature when I went there back in 2015: - 27/12/15 - 02/01/16. (see pic)

I have a few more Zizeeria to follow but I agree they can be hard work to photo :)
2015.12.26 IMG_8214 Arenaria interpres, Turnstone (in flight), Playa El Ejido, Fuengirola.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

What's all this 'I hardly saw anything' you've been giving it :wink: - you've already bagged four species that would be lifers for me :shock: :mrgreen: :lol: Great shots of the Skippers in particular :D but you've also really captured the dragonflies well :D :mrgreen: Mind you I need to give t a little bit before reading part 2 to let the Med and Sage Skipper envy pass :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Hi Wurzel
It wasn’t France …. but it wasn’t bad and I might’ve underestimated the number of lifers I’d got :wink: (It tails-off a bit in part 2). The good thing was I had a bit more time to play with thanks to a nature reserve being beside the beach and our accommodation having a swimming pool to keep the others happy. In France, I did a lot more driving to visit places and so had to do more of my butterflying ‘on the hoof’. Mind you I still had a ‘day off’ to do my own thing so the 40 species in a week that I got in France was a measure of just how good things were out there … even in August :D .
The “Spanish insects” is a good theme, plenty of other stuff to keep you absorbed when searching for butterflies (and pad out the report). Coping with the heat was the main challenge as you know from when you went to the Czech Republic. I’d, love to swap a few of my lifers (but not the Med Skipper :lol: ) for the species you saw out there :mrgreen: .

More butterflies and plenty of ‘padding’ still to come :) .
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Think the assassin bug is a Rhynocoris sp + the grasshopper a Calliptamus.

Return to “General”