White Admiral pupa

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
downland boy

Re: White Admiral pupa

Post by downland boy »

On 9th June, I checked the progress of the remaining viable pupa and all was well (photograph 1)
On 11th June, I checked to find that this pupa had also been predated, probably by a bird. All that was visible was the cremaster (photograph 2)
I am still keeping the first (parasitized) pupa under observation and will report on any outcome in due course.

All the best, Nigel
Attachments
P13906070001.JPG
P14001280001.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It's a tough life being near the bottom of the food chain :(
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Indeed. Shame how so much effort gets wiped out by a predatory strike....still, if it didn't, then I guess we'd be overrun by insects!
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Hi David and Bugboy,

Yes, I agree with both your comments. It is fascinating to observe how things develop in the wild but it can be a tough watch! Just as I was daring to believe that I might see a White Admiral emerge in the wild, that chance is now over for another year.

All the best, Nigel
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Well, well, well! The trouble with forming a hypothesis is that sometimes it turns out to be wrong and in the case of my first pupa, I have clearly misinterpreted what was going on. After seeing what looked like a parasitic egg followed by a very different colouration to the norm, I was convinced that this pupa was doomed to a grizzly end. A few days ago I collected the pupa in order to observe its final stages at home. A close look at the 'egg' through a magnifying glass showed the structure to be more like a scab which led me to think that perhaps a parasitic wasp had injected eggs into the pupa and that this scab was formed from seepage from the wound?
On the morning of 14th June, the pupa was completely black and with no sign of any wing pattern through the membrane it looked lifeless. Later in the day I checked to see if any parasite had emerged only to be amazed (and delighted) that a White Admiral imago was perched next to the empty pupa case. An hour later I was back at the wood where it started its life and after a few photographs I watched it fly up into the canopy.
But there is still the question of what caused the wound on the pupa? The imago did display a damaged left antenna, its front left leg appeared paralysed and the tip of the left forewing was slightly misshapen. A close look at the empty pupa case (photograph 1) shows that the wound site clearly interfered with the development of the left antenna and most likely also the cause of the other defects. The photographs of the imago show that the left foreleg remains folded.
As for any conclusions.....you never stop learning!

All the best, Nigel
Attachments
P14008110001.JPG
P14007850001.JPG
P14006640001.JPG
Last edited by downland boy on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Wow. That's good to hear Nigel. Great news!!

Return to “General”