Strumshaw Fen for Swallowtails

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Susie

Strumshaw Fen for Swallowtails

Post by Susie »

I am off to Strumshaw Fen hoping to see Swallowtails tomorrow and I wondered if you had any tips that you might like to pass on that my help in my search.

Many thanks :D
Rosalyn

Re: Strumshaw Fen for Swallowtails

Post by Rosalyn »

Once you have parked up go back along the road and turn left down the lane. There is a field on the right and yesterday they were feeding on the Red Campion there. Further along is the garden and after that a small hill, mainly feeding on Ground Ivy here along the hedgerow there. Get there as early as you can, although I believe after 3pm is also a good time. You can access the fen itself via the railway crossing there too. Good luck
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

I'm sure you will see Swallowtails in the area Rosalyn has detailed tomorrow. Good luck with the photos - they seem to permanently quiver, especially when it is sunny and they rarely sit still. If you walk out into the main Fen, keep your eyes open for flag irises along the rides - the butterflies like those to land on.
Number 1 tip though: You're going to need a BIG floppy hat, plenty of water and factor 50 suntan lotion! - Good luck Susie :shock:

Trev
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thank you Rosalyn and Trev, your comments are greatly appreciated :D
Susie

Post by Susie »

My thanks again to Rosalyn and Trev. I went to the area you suggested and had a very successful day, seeing three swallowtails. :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Susie wrote:My thanks again to Rosalyn and Trev. I went to the area you suggested and had a very successful day, seeing three swallowtails. :D
:mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “General”