UK Butterflies 2009 calendar

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Re: UK Butterflies 2009 calendar

Post by Gruditch »

Shirley Roulston wrote:The dead line for November is too soon. I do know what I'm saying, been there and got the badge.
I'm sure you think you do, but in-fact you don't. Because on the day of the deadline I have to ring the printers, who then turn around the order in five to ten days, I then have to get all the calenders posted off at the start of December, if we leave it any later we start to get into the Christmas rush at the post office.
Shirley Roulston wrote:It would be fair to include more photos that the ladies take, it seems a very one sided calendar. I don't include myself at all. There are a lot of photo in pass competitions that have been taken by ladies but unfortunatly Gruditch perfers to just keep in the family, fairs, fair. Perhaps one of the long standing ladies could choose the photos next year.

Sour grapes perhaps :?:

Thanks for your support Shirley. :wink:

Gruditch
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Shirley Roulston wrote:It would be fair to include more photos that the ladies take, it seems a very one sided calendar. I don't include myself at all. There are a lot of photo in pass competitions that have been taken by ladies but unfortunatly Gruditch perfers to just keep in the family, fairs, fair. Perhaps one of the long standing ladies could choose the photos next year.

The dead line for November is too soon. I do know what I'm saying, been there and got the badge.
"It would be fair to include more photos that the ladies take, it seems a very one sided calendar"
The only criteria used was the quality of the photograph as decided by a democratic vote. To include photos on the basis of gender, rather than the quality of the photograph, would be sexist, wouldn't it?

"Gruditch perfers to just keep in the family"
Although Gruditch was one of the 3 people who selected the photos, he didn't agree with all that were selected - but they still stood. I therefore deem the selection to have been made on the basis of a democratic vote.

"The dead line for November is too soon. I do know what I'm saying"
Mid-November is based on the lead time is required to have the calendar produced and shipped.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Shirley
I am not quick to anger, but your foolish post has got me fuming.
I know Gary personally and your suggestion that he has acted in a discriminatory way is grossly insulting.
Gary is honourable, honest and scrupulously fair.
I suggest you apologise for your slur right away - or I shall request that your invective gets you banned from this list.
If you look at the sex ratio of photographers on this site, the ratio of 1:13 on the calendar seems pretty good to me!

Roger
Cheers

Roger
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

Hi

I ordered my calendar on the principle that I would be raising money for butterfly conservation and to raise awareness amongst my fellow colleagues. I also wanted it to hang on my new office wall so that it will enthuse me to get out there and try and produce some hopefully decent images of my own. I think there are some fantastic choices in the calendar and I don't envy the decisons you had to make, and I certainly didn't even think about ratio of male/female photographers. I recognise there has been something of a learning curve for everyone involved, and to be honest if the calendar turned up a little late I wouldnt complain either. I do hope that things arent going to get 'unhappy' on here because of this. the forum has been simply fantastic - i love the chats be have all shared over the past few months - you are all so darn clever if my money hadnt all been lost in iceland I'd pay for you all to have a calendar of your own. ;-)
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

Oh.. thought I'd just better qualify my 'lost money in Iceland' comment. Its my daughters 5th birthday tomorrow and in a moment of madness my dear wife decided to invite teh entire class and more to a party with food. Thats around 35 4/5 year olds. Needles to say the money all disappeared to Iceland - thats a lot of sausage rolls you know! :D
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

I also think that the calendar has beautiful photos in it.
Last edited by Shirley Roulston on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Shirley Roulston wrote:I also think that the calendar has beautiful photos in it, I complemented the front cover photo in the photo gallery beginning of September, maybe the ladies will have their photos in the 2010 calendar.
Only if they're in the top 12 - based on a democratic voting process.

Cheers,

- Pete
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,
I think it's worth pointing out the (obvious) fact that there are some thoroughly excellent female photographers contributing to this site; Denise, Polly, Susie, Sandra Stanbridge (we looked through all the galleries as well as the monthly and annual competitions) to name but a few - and all much better than me (a male!). It is simply that none quite made the cut against such a huge quantity of outstanding historic material - and the same applies to a much greater number of men. To persist in inferring that female photographers should be subject to positive discrimination, suggests that they are in some way incapable of competing on a level playing field, which I personally find incredible! All of the above are easily capable of producing an image that would get selected by a panel judging purely on quality, as this one did. I'm afraid I have always been, and always will be, fiercely anti-sexist.
Neil
roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

This post is not going to be popular and i suspect most of you will not agree with me but here goes; I have looked at all the pictures 3 or 4 times and the only one that inspires or interests me at all is the front cover, May and June are great but most of the rest are at best ok, at worst boring.
I was hoping that this Calendar would show the wonderful Beauty and diversity of Butterflies in the British isles, it should inspire people to go out and look for and learn about Butterflies and the habitats they live in, i am probably on my own here but i feel this is an opportunity missed :( . Steve
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

roundwood123 wrote:This post is not going to be popular and i suspect most of you will not agree with me but here goes; I have looked at all the pictures 3 or 4 times and the only one that inspires or interests me at all is the front cover, May and June are great but most of the rest are at best ok, at worst boring.
I was hoping that this Calendar would show the wonderful Beauty and diversity of Butterflies in the British isles, it should inspire people to go out and look for and learn about Butterflies and the habitats they live in, i am probably on my own here but i feel this is an opportunity missed :( . Steve
What did you expect to see in a butterfly calendar? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically over the plains? :lol:

Seriously - what were you expecting?

Cheers,

- Pete
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

I'm not sure how you can say that the calendar doesn't show the diversity of the British butterfly fauna - at least one species from each family is shown!
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Seriously - what were you expecting?
You know what I would like to see – A bit of support, we are all on here for one thing, our love of butterflies.
This calendar has taken hours of people’s spare time to create, and hopefully make a bit of money for Butterfly Conservation.

But instead all you get is snide remarks, and moaning. You can’t please everyone, we all have different ideas, on how things should look and slaging it down publicly is not doing the calendar any favours.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Neil wrote:
excellent female photographers contributing to this site; ....... Sandra Standbridge
Sandra's husband Kevin is frustrated that she won't enter the competitions. Occasionally she contributes indirectly (via Kevin) to the sightings sections (eg, August with Brown Hairstreak).

I have seen some of Sandra's prints - and not just butterflies but all manner and means of wildlife. She is a superb photographer and a match for the very best contributors to ukbutterflies.

How can we persuade her?

Jack
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,
I agree. I don't think you would have to run a calendar many times, before one of her images (see old style galleries) would be chosen, irrespective of who the choices are made by in the future. As you say, she can easily compete with the very best.
Neil
Piers

Post by Piers »

Gwenhwyfar wrote:
You know what I would like to see – A bit of support, we are all on here for one thing, our love of butterflies.
This calendar has taken hours of people’s spare time to create, and hopefully make a bit of money for Butterfly Conservation.

But instead all you get is snide remarks, and moaning. You can’t please everyone, we all have different ideas, on how things should look and slaging it down publicly is not doing the calendar any favours.
Damn right.

Why is it that there's always one or two who simply can't bring themselves to be supportive of the effort made by a few dedicated individuals who choose to give up their time for a worthy cause?

It make me sick. Everyone should be behind this project and supportive of all those who have made the effort to get involved.

Felix.
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

The A.G.M. for the Butterfly Conservation Society is due to held soon, could a representative from the Uk Butterfly web-site attend, ask if the calendar be available on that day, say on atble somewhere where people can see, have one open for people to view, a nice poster saying about the profits. It would sell I am sure, you could clear at least 200 if not more. Just a thought, I know how hard it is to create something and then sell it, I'm not stupid, I've had too work very hard for my living and struggled. I try to be fair to people and I think if something is not quite right I won't sit in the corner and say nothing. I've said by bit so now I'll try to help. Another thought is a book shop, also a craft fair but they can be expensive.
Shirley Roulston
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Shirley Roulston wrote: I try to be fair to people and I think if something is not quite right I won't sit in the corner and say nothing
And what was not right then Shirley :?:

Despite what looks like a, "trying to be nice and supportive post", you still have to leave your bitter little accusation floating in there, don't you.

Gruditch
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Consider the debate on the content of the calendar closed - it is what it is, and isn't going to change because someone disagrees with the selection of images.

Any *positive* suggestions regarding the calendar, and how it can help raise funds for BC are, of course, welcome. Any other comments are not.

Cheers,

- Pete
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I am hoping they will be on sale at the Hampshire AGM this weekend as I wanna buy one with my pic in it :)

I was a little disappointed not to see them at the Sussex one, but TBH didn't realise this calendar was organised soley by people from this forum until I looked a little harder. I thought it originated from BC.

Therefore well done to all involved in making it happen. Certainly not an easy task!
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

The calendar is only available by mail order, by sending a cheque to Gary, as per the instructions.

We have a single mockup that I'll certainly be bringing along to the Hants AGM on Saturday. I'll also make an announcement during the proceedings for people to get their cheque books out :)

Also - as per Shirley's suggestion - if anyone is attending the York BC AGM, then I can send them the mockup (I can't make it) and some advertising notices. If not, I'll see if someone from BC would be happy to do this.

Cheers,

- Pete

Return to “General”