A Beginner - Identification

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Ian Beever

A Beginner - Identification

Post by Ian Beever »

As a complete beginner, I'm almost embarrassed to ask but curiosity has the better of me.
I've attached a picture of a butterfly (I presume), that has been in our conservatory for about a month. So far I haven't been able to identify it and wondered if you could help? Is there a time that it should be "released" to the outdoors again?!
Thanks
IanB
Attachments
Butterfly unknown 15Feb18.jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A Beginner - Identification

Post by Padfield »

This seems to be a small white - though I’m not sure I can rule out large white on this view. Either way, it is not an adult hibernator and probably emerged in error from its chrysalis in the middle of winter. This poses a dilemma. Neither species is naturally on the wing before April. If you release it on a sunny day this month, it will most certainly not find a mate, though it might have a chance to fly and find nectar if there is some around. If you keep it cool inside, it is unlikely to survive the winter. Whites are relatively short-lived. Quite possibly, there is some low temperature that will not kill it but will keep it just alive until April but I’ve never attempted this. My best advice, given in considerable ignorance, would be to let it feed on sugar solution or nectar in the conservatory, without releasing it, then recapture it, stocked up with sugars, keep it in cool shade for a day to allow digestion, then put it in the dark in the fridge, in a cardboard container. The low temperature will keep metabolism down. The sugar boost will increase its potential life expectancy. Maybe, just maybe, it will still be alive in the spring ... I’d wait for others to comment before attempting this!!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Ian Beever

Post by Ian Beever »

Thanks for your quick response, Guy. I'm pleased to learn what it is!
I've tried tempting it with the odd blob of honey, but will opt for a sugar solution instead and try to give it a chance.
Unless anyone else posts further options this seems a good proposal to me.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Many thanks
IanB
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Welcome Ian.
No embarassment on this site - all enthusiastic participants regardless of level.
Guy's excellent advice sounds very logical to me.
We look forward to hearing more of your butterflying experiences.
Chris
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'd agree with everything Guy said as well. My first instinct was a Small White too.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I must be overlooking something here. I can't see where Ian Beever lives as that could be highly relevant as to when to release the butterfly into the wild. Early March (on a fine day of course) might not be too early for an extreme southern coastal locality in Britain.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

I don't think the black apical markings extend enough for this to be Large White so yes, I too would agree that it is a Small White.

Interesting that the butterfly has already been around for a month!! What has it been feeding on in the conservatory? I strongly suspect that it may already be near the end of its natural life.

Return to “Identification”