ID confirmation please

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
BeeHappyFlutterBy

ID confirmation please

Post by BeeHappyFlutterBy »

Found on a Calor Gas bottle:!:
CALOUR GAS-IMG_0252.JPG
“It was the bumble bee and the butterfly who survived, not the dinosaur.”
— Meridel Le Sueur
Allan.W.

Re: ID confirmation please

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Beehappy....
Looks like a Large White to me ! Regards Allan.W.
BeeHappyFlutterBy

Thank you, Allan W much appreciated :D ... i was thrown with it being on the Calor Gas bottle :?
— Meridel Le Sueur
David M

Post by David M »

That's fairly decent camouflage in all honesty! :)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

It might get damaged or destroyed in its present location (if say bottle is moved).

I would wait until chrysalis is fully hardened and then very carefully cut the silk-like threads that hold it in place, being especially careful where the pad at end of abdomen is attached. Then transfer to a safe place for the winter but not indoors as that would be too warm. I would use a box and keep in shed.

Any other different ideas?

Jack
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Jack Harrison wrote:It might get damaged or destroyed in its present location (if say bottle is moved).

I would wait until chrysalis is fully hardened and then very carefully cut the silk-like threads that hold it in place, being especially careful where the pad at end of abdomen is attached. Then transfer to a safe place for the winter but not indoors as that would be too warm. I would use a box and keep in shed.

Any other different ideas?

Jack
Yeah - put the Calor Gas bottle in a shed :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
BeeHappyFlutterBy

Thanks for all your replies advice - just an update to say that the beauty emerged safely - we named it the rare Butane bottle Butterfly :lol: But as kindly id by @Allan.W. it was a Large white.

I have just been in my wildlife garden checking on the nettle patch and very pleased that i found these - Now can i ask for your id advice again, please. I hope the photos are good enough photography, not my strong point im afraid :?
Attachments
PUPIMAGE2.jpg
PUPIMAGE1.jpg
CATIMAGE2.jpg
CAT IMAGE1.jpg
— Meridel Le Sueur
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

That's a very productive nettle patch! The pupa is a Comma. The larva is a final-instar Red Admiral.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
BeeHappyFlutterBy

:D :D :D :D :D Thank you @Pete Eeles
i was sooooo hoping you would confirm both those Butterflies for me, im only a learner and,im thrilled as I've had soooo many visitors this year - my garden has had up to 16 small tortoiseshells in one count :D lots of Comma.Red Admirals, Peacocks, Painted Ladies, Meadow Brown, Speckled Wood, Ringlet and Silver-washed Fritillary to name a few, Not forgetting the Hummingbird Hawkmoths :) Im still seeing a lot of visitors in spite of the weather becoming increasingly wet here- Its very difficult for me to do any form of clearing of the beds to Autumn sow for next year as there's still so much activity - Im now having to consider creating a new bed border for my wildflowers for fear of disturbing anything which naturally i would never, never do : cry: As a matter of interest when do you do any clearing of your nettle patch, and are there any insects that would overwinter on them?
as well as seeing the above there were lots of grasshoppers and different bumbles, hoverflies, honey bees, green shield bug plus a lovely ladybird - I will wait and see how many head for the Beams in my Cottage this year to overwinter, i do have lots of overwintering plants both indoors and in my greenhouse that i encourage on blooming in case of early stirring pollinators- I find this year many more have used the undercover hanging baskets more frequently due to the increased shower periods we have experience- which hopefully will bode well for next year's potential offspring :)
— Meridel Le Sueur

Return to “Identification”