History of Vernacular Names created

Comments on the website and discussion forums, including enhancement requests and bug reports.
JohnR

Re: History of Vernacular Names created

Post by JohnR »

Pete Eeles wrote:Thanks Paul! I'll try and get hold of a copy. Are references for the names provided?
Cheers,
- Pete
Postscript books have Bugs Britannica remaindered at £9.99 http://www.psbooks.co.uk/products/scien ... britannica
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

Pete,
I looked through my copy of Morris today (6th ed, 1890), and there are a few leads you might be interested in. I don't know if these are any different to the first edition:
Green veined White is referred to as just Green Veined.
Heath Fritillary includes the name White May Fritillary in the section where he refers to older names but it is not clear which book he is referring to... one to look further into?
In the same manner he has a reference to Purple Underwing Fritillary in the Weaver's Fritillary section.
Great Spangled Fritillary is referred to as Venus Fritillary.

Thank you for putting together another useful reference.

Alex Henderson
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Real's Wood White with a slightly dubious alternative name of 'Long-willied Wood White... I shan't comment any more on that one :lol:
In my youth, Small Tortoiseshell was 'King George'. On that basis, the Irish Wood White should surely be known as 'King Dick'?

Jack
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I'd just like to thank everyone for their input - I'm constantly amazed at the support and encouragement that emerges when we group together :)

Also - my copy of Bugs Britannica has turned up (what a great read!), but it might be a while before I can process all of the inputs, but I will :) ... since every spare moment when the sun is shining is spent squeezing every last drop out of this year's flight season (having said that, I'll be "chasing" White Admiral larvae tomorrow, in the rain!).

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Pete Eeles wrote:Also - my copy of Bugs Britannica has turned up (what a great read!),

- Pete
Isn't it just :) , and the amount of research gone into it is quite something! :shock:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I've just received in the post a rather lovely book dating from 1945, Butterflies And moths In Britain by Vere Temple. It's a rather delightful read with some beautifully hand painted imagies showing rather surprisingly in many cases butterflies in natural poses rather than the usual set positions. It's definitely a book of it's time and with regard to this particular thread, the author insists on referring to the Glanville Fritillary as the Isle Of Wight Fritillary.

There's also a reference to an attempted introduction of the Cleopatra in Ireland. :shock: Apparently it died out after three seasons but its unclear as to whether they persisted for three generations or it was from three successive releases. News to me, is anyone else aware of this claim?
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Website Comments”