White-letter Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2015

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 19

The penultimate week! I always approach this part of the series with mixed emotions - sad that the looking back and reminiscing is soon to be over but excited as the new season is in the offing :D The final set next week will feature the remaining species, 'Vagrant' (for all those lucky LTB sightings :mrgreen: ) and finally your overall Favourite Photo from the season that was 2015.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
MrSp0ck

Re: White-letter Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2015

Post by MrSp0ck »

Here are a couple of my shots

A lava on the Wych Elm at the entrance to Chapel Bank Nature Reserve, part of the Hutchinsons Bank complex of reserves. 25th May 2015
DSC00001c.JPG
and an adult at High Elms Country Park in Bromley/Farnborough Kent 6th August so they were at the end of their flight period.
DSC00608s.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Sad to say I 'ducked out' on this species both at home and abroad in 2015. I must resolve to track it down during 2016.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

White-letter hairstreaks have been thin on the ground on my local patch in recent years. I photographed this female on my daily dog-walk in July last year. I hope she will have contributed to a more vibrant population in 2016.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
peterc

Post by peterc »

For several years I have tried to capture a close-up shot of a White Letter so I was really thrilled when I finally managed it last year - about a metre above ground. A fresh specimen which might have emerged that morning.

Peter
White-letter Hairstreak 1 25 Jun 2015 Six Hills, Stevenage
White-letter Hairstreak 1 25 Jun 2015 Six Hills, Stevenage
White-letter Hairstreak 2 25 Jun 2015 Six Hills, Stevenage<br /> Stevenage
White-letter Hairstreak 2 25 Jun 2015 Six Hills, Stevenage
Stevenage
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I have never managed to photograph the adult but did find this larva, on elm seeds blown to the ground, and reared it to adulthood (it flew whilst I was away at work).
DSC03316.JPG
Dsc03322.jpg
Dsc03322.jpg
Dsc03385.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Great images, Guy/peterc/Matsukaze, and for wholly different reasons.

This is probably the UK species I have neglected most, and I rarely see it abroad either, so these photographs let me know what I'm missing!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Another of the 12 lifers I ended the year with and one I wasn't sure I would be able to find, at least close enough to photograph. I reccied a few places over the winter but I finally managed to come up trumps from a tip through this very forum. I trip out to Essex and a 7 hour walk finally rewarded me with what seemed like a whole colony all feeding low down on bramble. I never dreamed I would be spoilt for choice over which one to photograph. I went back the following week and was overjoyed to find it wasn't a fluke either, it would seem it was a regular thing, at least for last season :). I'm not even going to try and narrow it down to just one picture, I filled my boots with them!
White-letter Hairstreak female, Hadleigh Country Park #52.JPG
White-letter Hairstreak female, Hadleigh Country Park #85.JPG
White-letter Hairstreak female, Hadleigh Country Park #73.JPG
White-letter Hairstreak female, Hadleigh Country Park #92.JPG
White-letter Hairstreak male, Hadleigh Country Park #42.JPG
and I'm guessing it's not often you get two in the same picture :D
White-letter Hairstreak male, Hadleigh Country Park #71.JPG
Sorry to gloat :oops: :wink:
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “White-letter Hairstreak”