White-letter Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

White-letter Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Wurzel »

Week 20! The Spring butterflies are just around the corner... :D

So concludes the sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014 (or the last time you saw one)!

Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Re: White-letter Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by David M »

Another disappointing year with this species. I only saw a handful at the Alun Valley site in Glamorgan and this, taken on 17th July, was the only individual that came down below 5 metres:
1WLH(1).jpg
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

There are no White-letter Hairstreaks near me in the South of France. I had to wait until I was on holiday in the Massif Central last summer before I saw my first ever.
This is probably the worst photo in my collection :oops: , but ironically probably the most precious because it is the only one I have of a WLH.
The day I get a better shot, this photo will be unceremoniously binned.
It is interesting to point out that this butterfly was perched high up and refused to come any lower in the time available to me, and this photo was taken with a bridge camera (FZ150) on full zoom, with the tree branches swaying - time to upgrade my camera ??
w-album1_63 Parent  06 July 2014 (1a).JPG
Chris
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

My favourite...because of its companion...not because of the quality of the photo!

David M

Post by David M »

cjackson wrote: It is interesting to point out that this butterfly was perched high up and refused to come any lower in the time available to me, and this photo was taken with a bridge camera (FZ150) on full zoom, with the tree branches swaying - time to upgrade my camera ??
When I was in the Massif Central in 2011, Chris, I saw a WLH in the middle of a field nectaring on an umbellifer.

Don't feel obliged to stick to the tree line whilst looking for this species down there.
David M

Post by David M »

jasonbirder wrote:My favourite...because of its companion...not because of the quality of the photo!
Excellent combo, Jason! :D
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Agreed,super photo! I always look for WLH at Hadleigh Castle Country Park,near Southend and,given good weather, this site never lets me down. It is unusural in that the adults here frequently come down to feed on bramble blooms-i have even seen mating pairs at head height on occasion! This is great,for this splendid site is good for many butterflies as well as some rare Essex wild flowers.

Last year,the males were already past their best by late June,but fresh females made for better photos,this is perhaps my favorite;
Attachments
hadleigh cas cp 2014 005b.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

That's a superb image of a contented looking WLH, EB.

Return to “White-letter Hairstreak”