White Admiral - Favourite Photo 2016

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 19

The penultimate week! I'm looking forward to these fave selections in particular as I saw all three of the species featured this week but wasn't able to get photos of any of them :(

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos - just to make it easier to organise and keep everything on track so that we can enjoy this throughout the winter months? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: White Admiral - Favourite Photo 2016

Post by millerd »

A bad year for the species I would say, with not very many seen on my excursion to Chiddingfold in early July, and none at all at Black Park in Bucks during the same week. Consequently this is one of very few shots taken in 2016.
WA4 060716.JPG
Dave
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Given my fascination with immature stages, especially those of the White Admiral which are all spectacular (IMHO!), then this shot of a relatively-fresh egg was a highlight of 2016.
White Admiral - ovum - Pamber Forest - 11-Jul-16.jpg
Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Like Dave these had a bad year in my haunts (mainly Bookham) and I only saw a handful of individuals and later in the season first instar larvae were also way down on 2015 numbers. This was the first one that presented itself to me at the beginning of July
White Admiral, Bookham Commons #5.JPG
I had hoped to track down some eggs as well, I agree with Pete's comments about the immature stages of WA's, but that will have to wait for another season when hopefully numbers pick up again!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Two photographs of the same individual, taken in a wealden wood in East Sussex.
Attachments
(1) White Admiral 6.7.16 East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I was in Fermyn Woods looking for the Purple Emperor on the 17th July when on my way back to the car I saw the White Admiral briefly has it flew down onto the leaf then quickly flew a way, I managed just one quick shot, I didn't see it again in 2016. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_51fd.jpeg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

This is my favourite from a series of photos that I took from the main ride, quite near the Oakley Wood car-park in Bernwood Forest. Whereas he was nectaring on the bramble flowers, the fruits, which would delight his 'Red' cousins later in the season, were already forming in the background.
Bernwood, Oxon - 8th July 2016<br />Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/800s@f/11 ISO 1000
Bernwood, Oxon - 8th July 2016
Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/800s@f/11 ISO 1000
Mike
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I saw White Admirals in 2016 at Ryton Wood and Snitterfield Bushes in Warwickshire...maybe half a dozen or so at Ryton and 3 or 4 at Snitterfield. On both occasions they were actively flitting and skimming between the trees but as I was at Ryton later in the day I had some photo opportunities when they occasionally settled to bask in the late afternoon sun.
White Admiral - Ryton Wood 20.07.2016
Cheers,

Neil

Return to “White Admiral”