Wall - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Wall - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Week 19.

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wall - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Wurzel »

Wall

This, my favourite shot of Wall was also taken on the same day as my fave Small Blue and Marsh Frit. It was the closing scene of Act 1, essentially finishing the scene with a flourish or the aria with a crescendo.

It’s my favourite as it’s the best open wing shot I’ve gotten as for me Wall Brown are a bit hit or miss. I’m either lucky enough to see one or I miss out entirely. They’re becoming increasingly rare and I’m not sure where to go to see them? So having already tripped over Marsh Frits and found my freshest Small Blue already to find this cracker was fantastic and meant the day moving from ‘great’ status to near legendary.

A creamy Tangarine butterfly flew strongly past us along the contours of the hill while we were photographing the Small Blue. It chose to land on the side of the hill where a collapse had exposed a ninety degree mini cliff. A neck breaking scramble down the side of the down ensued only for it to fly back up and land on the chalk path where we’d originally started from. After a slower and more exhausting ascent we caught a break as the sun went in just as we pulled ourselves to the same level as the butterfly. So after about 5 minutes and 100 odd shots we left it in peace and carried on round the side of the hill.
Wall (02-06).JPG

Have a goodun

Wurzel
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Wall Brown were very numerous in my area in 2013. This is a butterfly I've spent a lot of time studying over the last few years and during the year I managed a few shots that I was reasonably pleased with. I rarely try to photograph this species as it is very frustrating and time consuming and with all the territory battles they also show damage very quickly.
Male Wall Brown
Male Wall Brown
Male Wall Brown
Male Wall Brown
Female Wall Brown
Female Wall Brown
http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

This is my favourite Wall because of its lateness in the season, December 27th, no doubt due to the mildish weather.
megera, Marseilles, Decemeber 27, 2013
megera, Marseilles, Decemeber 27, 2013
Chris
CFB

Post by CFB »

A lone female Wall on volcanic rock:
IMG_6655.JPG
and a mating couple:
IMG_8952.JPG
--
Colin
millerd

Post by millerd »

In common with other people, I find this butterfly a little exasperating to try and photograph. On 1st June I drove down to High & Over in Sussex and walked inland. It was sunny and quite warm, and I saw at least two dozen male Walls, mostly new and undamaged. If they settled and closed their wings, perhaps because of a passing cloud, then it was just possible to get close in for a photo - otherwise... The camera was also being difficult, with a day of focussing on the background rather than the butterfly, so I didn't end up with many shots at all. The day was improved by the appearance of a Green Hairstreak taking minerals from the path, and which could be approached as close as I liked. I do enjoy the unpredictability of this hobby!
Wall4 010613.JPG
Wall3 010613.JPG
Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Sadly although they were common enough some years back, Wall Browns are no longer to be found around my part of the midlands so whenever I am near the coast I will keep a special look out for them.
Last year I was lucky enough to find them a few times during my travels, first behind the dunes at Croyde Bay in North Devon in June and then in September at a few places between Osmington and Lulworth cove in Dorset.

My favourite photos were taken during a brief stop off at Warton Crag on the way home from Arnside in early August where I found half a dozen or so near the top of the path up from the car park including the nice male below...
Wall Brown male - Warton Crag 08.08.2013
Wall Brown male - Warton Crag 08.08.2013
I also watched another male for ten minutes or so whilst he attempted to court a female who kept flying a few feet and then settling again with much vibrating of her wings until she finally gave him the slip and flew off at speed.
Wall Brown pair - Warton Crag 08.08.2013
Wall Brown pair - Warton Crag 08.08.2013
Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I only took photo's of two Wall's last year one was 17th August in South Port Dunes when I managed to get the open wings for the first time and the other was at Temple Ewell in Kent on 30th June when it landed right in front of me :D I don't know who was more suprised me or the Wall :D

I did see quite alot in Dover on the cliffs there but they were all to fast for me. Goldie :D
Attachments
Wall TEW 30th June 2013 IMG_2054.JPG
Wall Brown 13th August 2013 SPD IMG_2621.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

I'm lucky living near the coast because this is just about the only habitat where you'll find Wall Browns these days :(

Kilvey Hill in Swansea is a favourite haunt for them and it was here on 2nd June where I saw this male:
1WallB(1).jpg

Return to “Wall”