Swallowtail - Favourite Photo of 2015

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 18

We are fast approaching the end of this series so I hope you're getting all of your 'Vagrant' and 'Overall Favourite' shots ready!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Chris Jackson

Re: Swallowtail - Favourite Photo of 2015

Post by Chris Jackson »

Thanks for opening the subject, Wurzel.
This individual was seen in the South of France on July 4th and was thirsty, happy to find moist ground to drink from.
machaon15 P Bruyères 04 Jul 2015.JPG
FZ150
Chris
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Last year I was privileged to see the Swallow Tail at Hickling Broad, Norfolk, after trying other places and not finding them we were told to go there because of the amount of flowers near the path where you walked.
This proved to be true, all we had to do was wait for the Swallow tail to land. I can definately recommend this Broad to any one thinking of going :D We were there early June.
I took so many photos it was hard to choose just one, so I've included a few, although one or two have a little damage they still looked great to me, not having seen them for a few years. Goldie :D
Attachments
Swallow Tail 7th June
Swallow Tail 7th June
Swallow Tail 10th June
Swallow Tail 10th June
Swallow Tail 7th June
Swallow Tail 7th June
Swallow Tail 7th June
Swallow Tail 7th June
David M

Post by David M »

Saw this species on both my trips to France in 2015. About a dozen were encountered in the Alps in late June/early July, but the below individual was seen whilst looking for Provence Hairstreaks in the Var in mid-April:
1-320(1).jpg
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

I only visited the Broads once in 2015 and it was a bit windy for decent photographs but it was lovely to see a reasonable numbers of Swallowtails. I have chosen this photograph simply because it reminds me of what I hope to enjoy next June.
Attachments
Swallowtail.JPG
Swallowtail.JPG (38.79 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Swallowtail

Bit of a cheat this one (like my HBF previously) as this is a Continental Swallowtail and was taken on my Czech holiday. I only saw the one there and managed only about 9 shots of which this is my fave as it shows the luscious under wing markings and so could possibly be added t my ‘stained glass’ collection.
142 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Swallowtail”