Swallowtail - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Swallowtail - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Week 19.

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
badgerbob

Re: Swallowtail - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by badgerbob »

This is the Swallowtail that roosted in Deep Dene. The next day I decided that it had to still be there following heavy rain overnight and the following morning. The light fortunately improved while looking at the butterfly. Although far from mint condition it was still an exciting sight.
DSC_6754 (1024x680).jpg
DSC_6768 (1024x644).jpg
http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Following the sighting of a Swallowtail (ssp.gorganus) on the Sussex Downs the previous evening, Badger Bob 'phoned me on the morning of 24th August 2013 to see if I fancied meeting up to go and look for it. Even though it was pouring with rain outside, it was highly likely that the quarry was still roosting where it was seen to settle down the evening before. I left home with the windscreen wipers on full speed and meet Bob at the foot of the Downs. By this time it was just spitting and the grey clouds were starting to turn white. As we arrived at the location, the Swallowtail was quickly found (the search aided by the 'Kipper' shaped depression in the grass from the previous evening). Bob and I knelt side by side to focus on the roosting insect and just at that moment it opened its wings for us. What a wonderful moment and we clicked away for nearly an hour and wandered back to our cars with satisfied grins on our faces. By the time I got back home it was pouring with rain again.
Attachments
Swallowtail (f) (ssp.gorganus) 24.8.13 Windover Hill, East Sussex. Downland boy.JPG
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

I submit this photo humbly because I understand the difficulties UKBFers have to go through to get a photo of a Swallowtail, whereas down my way they are 10-a-penny and I nearly have to fight them off. Back home though you have some species out of my reach that I can only dream of!!
machaon, France, 2013
machaon, France, 2013
chrysalis, machaon, France, 2013
chrysalis, machaon, France, 2013
Chris
William

Post by William »

That's a wonderful photo Chris - the blue sky and beautifully - lit spread wings make for quite a shot :D :D
CFB

Post by CFB »

Three photos of two different Swallowtails:
IMG_7313.JPG
IMG_9443.JPG
IMG_9444.JPG
I agree with Chris, there were lots of Swallowtails in our part of the world in 2013.
--
Colin
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Colin - nice photos, and thanks for your comments William. Its true, the Swallowtails down here in 2013 were particularly photogenic.
Chris
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

My favourite Swallowtail photo of 2013 was taken at Strumpshaw Fen on 5th June.

P.m  britannicus
P.m britannicus

However when in the dordogne in 2012 we saw quite a few of these.

P.m gorganus
P.m gorganus
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Although not taken in 2013, these photos of larvae feeding on fennel were taken in Normandy, where we used to spend every August, those were the days!

IMG_1663.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_1661.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_1671.jpga.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_1683.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG
ptg

Post by ptg »

These were taken at Strumpshaw Fen in early July 2013. "Swallowtail Kising a Bee" I wish!!
These were the first photos i have ever taken of a Swallowtail despite over 40 years of trying!!
It appears that the subject had a defective right wing, not sure what caused this. Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Paul
Attachments
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0496 (800x533).jpg

Return to “Swallowtail”