Speckled Wood - Favourite Photo 2016

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 18

The end of this series is fast approaching :( but that means the season will soon be upon us :D !

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos - just to make it easier to organise and keep everything on track so that we can enjoy this throughout the winter months? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Re: Speckled Wood - Favourite Photo 2016

Post by MikeOxon »

It was a very bright afternoon on Otmoor when I spotted this back-lit butterfly against the dark eaves of the woodland. I took several 'ordinary' photos but chose this one because it's a bit different:
Otmoor, Oxon - 12th August 2016<br />Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/250s@f/6.3 ISO800
Otmoor, Oxon - 12th August 2016
Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/250s@f/6.3 ISO800
Mike
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

A male in May on the downs and a female nectaring on grass flowers in August on Pevensey Levels in East Sussex
Attachments
Speckled Wood (m) 24.5.16  East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I've chosen two SW, one from the 7th May and one from 26th July both shots were taken at Hall-Lee-Brook,
It seemed to be a slow start for the Butterflies but the season ended very well for them. Goldie :D
Attachments
Speckled Wood 26th July
Speckled Wood 26th July
Speckled Wood 7th May
Speckled Wood 7th May
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Not a species often seen nectaring so getting one posing on a Daisy at Hadleigh Country Park in April makes for a nice change
Speckled Wood male, Hadleigh Country Park #10.JPG
A second favourite picture is this male basking picturesquely on some Bracken at Bookham in June
Speckled Wood male, Bookham Commons #1.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Numbers were definitely down in my part of the world in 2016, particularly with the late stuttering start to spring. Things were better later on and my favourite of the year was this one on the rotting late summer blackberries oozing juice. A fresh individual: I like the almost purple underside colouring.
SpW1 050916.JPG
Dave
celery

Post by celery »

Here's one taken by mrs. celery in Dordogne in mid-september. The typical southern european 'orangey' form.
Shafts of sunlight filtering through the dense woodland canopy = bokeh!
Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria) (3).jpg
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Speckled Wood

This was taken at The Devenish in early June. It came out really well and I discovered it in a tiny part of the reserve which I’ve often ignored – hence my choice of it as my Fave. They are much more subtle butterflies than the showy Frits and Aristocrats but no less beautiful for it.
Sp W.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Both an early spring and late summer species, one is never truly without Speckled Woods.

This pristine specimen seen at West Williamston in Pembrokeshire on 25th August was probably the pick:
1SpeckledW(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Ahh yes! Specklies :D

This is a species that seems to do well in cool cloudy years and indeed this appeared to be the case around my patch in 2016. I saw the first one in my garden on 4th May, which was a couple of weeks later than usual, and the last worn but still feisty male holding his territory on 9th October, which was also my last butterfly of 2016.
As usual, I took loads of photos of these in 2016, not least in order to identify different individuals in my garden so that I could keep a count of them.

The early brood are often noticeably brighter than those appearing later in the year as exemplified by the nice male below,
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 08.05.2016
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 08.05.2016
Throughout the year I would usually have two or three males in the garden at the same time plus the odd female passing through...
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 31.07.2016
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 31.07.2016
but in late September numbers increased to the point where I would have 6 or 7 together on the small clump of brambles at the bottom of my garden...
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 28.08.2016
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 28.08.2016
Speckled Wood trio - Coverdale 28.08.2016
Speckled Wood trio - Coverdale 28.08.2016
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 29.08.2016
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 29.08.2016
I also saw plenty of Specklies at most other places that I visited during the season including up on Arnside Knot in early August where i took the underside shot below,
Speckled Wood male - Arnside Knot 04.08.2016
Speckled Wood male - Arnside Knot 04.08.2016
During my week in Cornwall in early September there were also good numbers at Upton Towans where I was surprised to also find them on the more exposed sandier parts of the dune system, not a habitat that I am used to seeing them in.
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 06.09.2016
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 06.09.2016
Cheers,

Neil
David M

Post by David M »

Great range of Specklies there, Neil, as I would expect from you! :)

Return to “Speckled Wood”