Small White - Favourite Photo 2016

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 18

The end of this series is fast approaching :( but that means the season will soon be upon us :D !

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos - just to make it easier to organise and keep everything on track so that we can enjoy this throughout the winter months? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Re: Small White - Favourite Photo 2016

Post by MikeOxon »

I suppose that few people set out specifically to look for Small Whites. I saw this particularly fresh specimen during a visit to Aston Rowant NNR. The underside of the wing shows a remarkable amount of fine hairs.
Aston Rowant NNR - 26th August 2016<br />Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/2500s@f/11 ISO800
Aston Rowant NNR - 26th August 2016
Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/2500s@f/11 ISO800
Mike
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My photos were taken in my Garden on 5th Aug/23rd Sept, considering the bad weather we had last year
which affected most Butterflies badly, the Small White did very well and were the most frequently seen in our area, certainly in my Garden. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_51e7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_51e3.jpeg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A nice backlit individual from Malling Down gets my vote
Small White female, Malling Down #1.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Not an easy butterfly to approach - its Green-veined cousins seem more approachable. A steady trickle of Small Whites appeared locally, from early April until late September - though early on, many suspects turned out to be female Orange Tips. Here is one early example and one late one. The former is almost lacking its black spots.
SW1 020416.JPG
SW3 180916.JPG
Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Didn,t take too many Small White shots,in 2016 but saw them in large numbers ,particularly at coastal sites such as Reculver and Dungeness, and also on Romney and Walland marshes,This one was taken early evening in late summer at Dungeness ,and although the picture doesn,t show it too well,it appeared very Yellow, my son spotted it, and his first words were " theres a yellow one here dad !" I,d say it was a very fresh individual. Regards Allan.W.
P1060932.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small White

This was taken on the same day as my Fave Small Tort but earlier on. I was at Five Rivers and having wandered round and enjoyed numerous Small Torts and Peacocks it was nice to also add Small White to the day list. This was my Fave as it was a cracking close up and I liked the way that it really showed off the black and yellow scales that give this butterfly it’s creamy, lemony hue.
Sma W.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

My first Small White of the year was seen at the bottom of Kilvey Hill in Swansea on 17th April:
1SmWh(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

As is often the case with this species, I saw more Small Whites flying about in 2016 than I actually photographed. One of the few that I did take was this nice clean looking male seen in my garden in late May.
Small White - Coverdale 27.05.2016
Small White - Coverdale 27.05.2016
Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Small White”