Small White - Favourite Photo of 2015

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 18

We are fast approaching the end of this series so I hope you're getting all of your 'Vagrant' and 'Overall Favourite' shots ready!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Small White - Favourite Photo of 2015

Post by millerd »

Here's one from my local patch late on in the year (3rd October). There didn't seem to be very many around in 2015...
SW3 031015.JPG
Dave
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Here are a couple of shots from the South of France. Although a common species, it is difficult to get a decent set of full uppersides and unders.
rapae10_13 pair Vitrolles scrub 22Oct15 (4).JPG
I was too late to save this individual from this spider - such is nature :(
rapae9_13 and spider Vitrolles friche 04 Jun 2015 (2).JPG
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

'Whites' are never popular with photographers, because of the difficulty in representing the 'whiteness' of their wings. Earlier in the year, I read an article in 'Nature', which showed how the high-reflectivity of these wings can enhance the performance of solar cells!

The electronic viewfinder in my Olympus is a great help, because it indicates when parts of a picture are over-exposed.
Otmoor, Oxon - 7th September 2015<br />Olympus E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/1000s@f/10 ISO400
Otmoor, Oxon - 7th September 2015
Olympus E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - 1/1000s@f/10 ISO400
Mike
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My favourite photo was taken in my front garden on the 8th October and my second at St Margarets on the 31st July. Goldie :D
Attachments
Small White 31st July 2015.jpg
Small White 8th Oct 2015.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Easter Sunday, April 5th, saw me looking for early Orange Tips at Castle Meadows in Abergavenny. I didn't succeed with that till the following day, but my first Small White was spotted in overcast conditions, which kept him unusually approachable:
1SmWhmale(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I didn't take many photos of Small Whites last year and of those I did take the one below from taken at the Wyre Forest in late May is my favourite.
Small White - Wyre Forest 26.05.2015
Small White - Wyre Forest 26.05.2015
Cheers,

Neil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I have to admit, I've never really paid much attention to Small Whites (or Large Whites for that matter) in terms of photography until last year but getting some nice close ups I've realised my mistake in neglecting them for so long!
Small White female, Chobham Common #7.JPG
Small White female, South Downs Way, Eastbourne #11.JPG
I love the way the light pics out the scales on the wing on this male
Small White male, South Downs Way, Eastbourne #3.JPG
and here's two males not engaged in flappy tussle!
Small White male, Walthamstow Marshes #33.JPG
and to finish a female explaining to a nearby male that he should move on, not that he listened!
Small Whites courting, Hadleigh Country Park #10.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small White

This was taken at Five Rivers and was my fave as it was almost ‘the one that got away’. I was out trying to add to my tally relatively early in the season and I was really struggling in the process. It seemed that nothing was flying what so ever. I was just contemplating giving up when a Small White fluttered by. Unfortunately it was flying strongly and didn’t stop long enough for a shot. I paused in my progress trying to second guess where it was heading so that I could intercept it and happened to glance down. There just next to the toe of my boot was this butterfly. It had almost escaped my notice and lens...almost.
017 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Only took a couple of shots of Small White last season,i spent ages chasing a really yellow individual, which finally beat me ,and I deleted about 20 or more shots every one blurred !! Anyway this is my favourite picture. Taken at Dungeness(Kent) in September.
DSCF3070.JPG

Return to “Small White”