Small Tortoiseshell - Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Small Tortoiseshell - Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by Wurzel »

Small Tortoiseshell – Favourite Photo of 2017

Week 17 – As I get older it seems that the summers fly by and the winters always drag... :roll: But now we're almost into February and so Small Torts are only a few weeks away! :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
IAC

Re: Small Tortoiseshell – Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by IAC »

The Small Tortoiseshell up here in the Scottish Borders have suddenly become a much rarer sight for whatever reason this past few years. The species last had a good year in 2013, since then, numbers have been on the dive, quite seriously so during 2017. I get the feeling from what I have seen so far that the recovery of this species will take a lot more than a few good weather seasons...its past that I think.
This Tortoiseshell was seen in a Woodland glade near Duns Castle in the Scottish Borders and one of only two sadly.
Attachments
IMG_0001.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Thankfully, this iconic British species still seems to be doing alright in south Wales.

I saw quite a few in 2017, though my best image was accidental, coming as it did whilst concentrating on two Peacocks on the same sprig of buddleia at the National Botanic Gardens of Wales in late August:
1.Peacockx2.SmTort(1).jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I took most of my shots in the back and front of my Garden last year mostly in September and October when they arrived there nearly every day, the weather was at it's best in those two months, they surprised me when I saw so many arrive after not seeing them in great numbers in the Spring, the photos were taken on 2nd of September. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_8742.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8744.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I came across this pair in Orlestone forest (Kent) and watched them following each other around for about half an hour ,the male landing strategically behind the female on each occasion,i had high hopes for an actual pairing ,(and he did try !) ,but as I,ve said after me keeping them company for about a half hour ,they tore down the ride and disappeared !!
Regards Allan.W.
P1080729.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I had a pretty decent year with these (although not all locally). The post hibernation population at one of my local patches was probably the best I've seen them anywhere in London for 10 years if not more. One March day on Tottenham marshes gave me double figures and like Allen above, courting couple were seen. There was lots of eager nudging going on here but they vanished to either finish the act or escape his advances.
Small Tortoiseshell's courting, Tottenham Marshes #2.JPG
There were also good numbers down in North Stoke both in the spring and later in the summer when they provided ample consolation to the absence of their Large cousin :)
Small Tortoiseshell, Burpham Meadows (North Stoke) #18.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

There was a good emergence of hibernated individuals on my local patch in 2017 for a change, but nothing spectacular after that. However, I chanced upon a freshly emerged Small Tortoiseshell on 16th August, just stretching its wings with a bright red blob of meconium on an adjacent leaf to prove it: absolutely pristine.
ST1 160817.JPG
Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Numbers of these have taken a bit of a tumble from a couple of years back although they still show up at most places locally.
One of my favourite sights of spring is to see butterflies on blossom and so one of my favourite shots is one of these,
Small Tortoiseshell - Langley Hall 31.03.2017
Small Tortoiseshell - Langley Hall 31.03.2017
The summer brood were scarce around my patch and I didn't see many until we were down in Cornwall in mid August and where I saw increasing numbers though the week.

I particularly like the colours in this shot against the bracken,
Small Tortoiseshell - Kennack Sands 25.08.2017
Small Tortoiseshell - Kennack Sands 25.08.2017
Over the past few years I have come to appreciate that this is actually quite a variable species, mostly in the size of spots and colour of the yellowish markings which can vary from almost white to almost matching the red ground colour. I therefore like these three individuals seen at Kennack Sands at the same time on the same patch of Hemp Agimony,
Small Tortoiseshell - Kennack Sands 24.08.2017
My overall favourite is one taken back in late May. I had just seen this individual and thought it looked a little different but was distracted by a nice fresh Small Copper and didn't give the ST any more thought. I subsequently posted it in my PD where it was pointed out to me that it was lacking the normal two small forewing spots and was possibly ab. ichnusioides.
Small Tortoiseshell - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
Small Tortoiseshell - Castle Hills 21.05.2017
Cheers,

Neil.
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Having over-wintered, the butterflies familiarise themselves with each other, during the warmest parts of the day, sometimes while 'nectaring'. Males are seen in pursuit of females.
It was thought that after a temperature drop towards the end of an afternoon, the butterflies very quickly become less active and the females more submissive (or lethargic) in those favourite camouflaged, over night positions.

To be clear, they are not like August Large White Butterflies seen coupled, flying from buddleia to buddleja.
30th March 2017, near Lincoln, Lincolnshire. iPhone image.
30th March 2017, near Lincoln, Lincolnshire. iPhone image.
Kind Regards,
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Tortoiseshell

This was taken at St Peter’s in Great Cheverall on a visit to the excellent Bell Inn (well worth a visit in between some Wiltshire butterflying) to meet up with Trevor. After catching up my girls disappeared off with his Grandkids and so we mooched on up to the local Graveyard. It was still quite cool and a little bit grey but during Feb/March the butterflies seem to fly at around 9 degrees C so who knew what would be about.
This is one of several which kept jostling and harassing each other around a large bonfire. It’s my favourite because not only does it remind me of the day but it really stands out against the dull grey-brown background almost as if it’s been photo-shopped in…which it hasn’t of course!
DSC_0320 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

PhilBWright wrote:It was thought that after a temperature drop towards the end of an afternoon, the butterflies very quickly become less active and the females more submissive (or lethargic) in those favourite camouflaged, over night positions.
Tristan Lafranchis says much the same thing; that pairing takes place in late afternoon, often hidden in the undergrowth. One day, I hope to put that theory to the test, as I don't think I've ever seen any of the vanessids in 'cop'.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Small Tortoiseshell - Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by Vince Massimo »

I spent most of the 2017 season crouching in nettle beds for one reason or another. My favourite image is of an egg mass taken a few hundred metres from home.
Small Tortoiseshell eggs - Crawley, Sussex 30-March-2017
Small Tortoiseshell eggs - Crawley, Sussex 30-March-2017
Vince

Return to “Small Tortoiseshell”