Small Tortoiseshell Decline and Recovery?

PhilBJohnson

Small Tortoiseshell Decline and Recovery?

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Hello everyone,
I work as a Land Surveyor in and around the South East of the UK, usually in several different locations.
I think that it has been fairly commonly accepted that Small Tortoiseshells (STs) have indeed bounced back after a better 2013. This Spring I have noticed, for example, on several of my trips into north London, an abundance of STs on one particular site. I have seen a couple on my local patch but not as many as I would have normally expected to see. In fact, I had to wait almost until the end of March to see my first ST of the year in Elmbridge, Surrey. Locally I have seen plenty of Peacocks, Brimstones & Commas (the other hibernators).
In 2013 I spent quite a lot of time on the Bookham Commons (not renowned for STs, I know) but I saw more Clouded Yellows there last year, than I did STs ! (It was a good year for Clouded Yellows) :)
I really just wondered if anyone else has noticed areas of absence where they might have expected to see STs. It might be just me but I guess the picture will become clearer once all the sighting info has been gathered for 2014. Also please post here if you have any more up to date information on the cause of the STs decline in recent years.
best wishes,
Philip
Kind Regards,
David M

Re: Small Tortoiseshell Decline and Recovery?

Post by David M »

Small Tortoiseshells have always been common here in south Wales, but the last couple of years has seen them in their greatest numbers since I was a child.

Aside from the predation aspect that is very familiar to most, I find it hard to comprehend why this is. After all, 2012 was the worst year on record for butterflies generally yet Tortoiseshells still thrived.

It's also interesting that LARGE Tortoiseshells are appearing more regularly in the UK.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Small Tortoiseshell Decline and Recovery?

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I've certainly seen STs everywhere I've been this year; Surrey, Somerset and Worcestershire. I've always seen more in Somerset and Worcestershire but they seem so much more frequent in the south than in recent years. This can only be a good thing!

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Small Tortoiseshell”