Small Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2015

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 17

Another week and another step closer to the season beginning - still no butterflies for me so I will just have to continue to enjoy the offerings from 2015 :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Re: Small Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2015

Post by MikeOxon »

I've seen so many head-on photos of Essex Skippers, showing the black antenna tips so, for a change, here is a head-on Small Skipper, proudly demonstrating that it's not an Essex :)
Aston Rowant NNR - 30th July 2015<br />Olympus E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - !/640s@f/9 ISO800
Aston Rowant NNR - 30th July 2015
Olympus E-M5 with 40-150mm lens - !/640s@f/9 ISO800
Mike
David M

Post by David M »

A mating pair (the first of this species I saw in 2015) at Fermyn Woods on 18th July is the only image I took of Small Skipper last year:
1SmSkpair(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

A couple of similar pictures taken two months and several hundred miles apart. A male from Bedfont Lakes C.P. (25th June)...
SS4 250615.JPG

...and another male seen on the Wolds Way near Millington in Yorkshire on 23rd August
SS1 230815.JPG
I also like this one (a female), rather typically posed, also from Bedfont a few days later than the one above (3rd July)
SS1 030715.JPG
Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My photos of the Small Skipper were taken at Warton Craig in July they seem to be every where, one of the nice day's which were few and far between last year in the North except for Sept/Oct when it was great. Goldie :D
Attachments
Small Skipper 15th July WC
Small Skipper 15th July WC
Small Skipper's 15th July WC
Small Skipper's 15th July WC
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Small Skippers were one of the species that were a bit late turning up around my local spots in 2015 with my first one not seen until late June. When they did eventually emerge in numbers there were loads of them all through July and well into August.

The first one seen on June 27th,
Small Skipper - Castle Hills 27.06.2015
Small Skipper - Castle Hills 27.06.2015
I have never seen much variation in Small Skippers so I was intrigued by the white patches on this one,
Small Skipper - Bickenhill 12.07.2015
Small Skipper - Bickenhill 12.07.2015
A mating pair seen at Gait Barrows when I was up there in late July,
Small Skippers - Gait Barrows 27.07.2015
Small Skippers - Gait Barrows 27.07.2015
and one from the park by my moms house in August. This shot taken whilst checking for Essex Skippers which seemed to be around in even greater numbers than the Smalls at a some sites.
Small Skipper - 07.08.2015
Small Skipper - 07.08.2015
Cheers,

Neil.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Small skipper from Holmsley Inclosure (New Forest) in late July.
IMG_7957-c-r-f.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It seemed to be a good year for these at most the places I saw them but it was at Hadleigh Country Park in Essex where I saw them in huge numbers alongside the equally numerous Essex Skippers.
Small Skipper, Hadleigh Country Park #2.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Skipper

This had to be my favourite Small Skipper shot of the year due to the unusual pose the butterfly threw. I’d stopped off at Larkhill and unbeknownst to me I’d picked up a hitchhiker. This is normally a euphemism for getting a Tick but this one was much more welcome than the usual blood suckers! After I realised what is was I pulled over but struggled to cajole it out of the car and I didn’t want to lower the electric window for fear of dragging it into the mechanism. Besides it seemed to be pondering its’ own reflection. Eventually it must have gotten bored and made its own way out through the open door. As I drove onto work I wondered if this had happened before and then I remembered that this was similar to the explanation for the expansion of the Essex Skipper – only they are
transported as eggs.
038 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Small Skipper”