Small Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2012

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Small Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2012 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter until all 59 UK species have been covered. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas friends are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Small Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Wurzel »

Small Skipper

Back in mid July I visited Alice Straits or the first time and although it didn’t deliver the grounded Purple Emperors I was hoping for it was a cracking site with butterflies a plenty. Amongst the Commas, mating SWFs, White Admirals and Red Admirals I found my first Hedge Brown of the year and also this little chap. A one point he was getting a bit leery with a male SWF almost forcing off of the flower head they were both feeding on. And that’s why this is my favourite shot as it was taken shortly after his victory. Having disposed of the SWF (which seemed almost three times the size) he took a look around, had a quick drink and then buggered off to the grasses alongside the path!
Small Skipper 15-07 Straits.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

I found an abundance of Small Skippers including several copulating pairs at Aston Rowant in late July and took far too many photos, so i have five favourites. The first four images were captured on July 21st whilst the final, and probably my most favourite was taken on July 27th.
SmallSkipper.jpg
SmallSkipper2.jpg
Small Skippers.jpg
Small Skippers2.jpg
SmallSkipper3.jpg
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

it's the first one for me Nigel,
and i wish you'd wait til last to post yours, it puts my one into perspective as to it's quality :lol: :lol: :D
so bringing things back to a very amateur level.....
smskip.JPG
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest, 5 July 2012

The search continues …
UKBP1070781.JPG
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5432&start=460#p62043
millerd

Post by millerd »

A slightly unusual shot taken at the back of the beach at Filey, Yorkshire on what can only loosely be called "cliffs". This individual was sharing the flower with a formidable-looking hoverfly.

Dave
Attachments
SS1 resized.JPG
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Another 'mug shot' of a truly golden skipper,taken at Greenham Common, Berks.
Greenham Common, Berks - 9th Aug 2012<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 lens + 1.4X TC - 1/125s@f/8 ISO400
Greenham Common, Berks - 9th Aug 2012
Nikon D300s with 300/4 lens + 1.4X TC - 1/125s@f/8 ISO400
Mike
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My Small Skipper photo was taken at Lydden in Kent on the 2nd of July, the weather had been wet and I was pleased to get this shot. When I'd been there before it had been later in the year August and the Adonis and Chalkhill Blue had been in abundance no chance this time of seeing them, hope fully I will this year. Goldie :D
Attachments
Small Skipper TE 2nd July 2012 053.jpg
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Small Skipper in the field behind the house.
Attachments
DSC_0423 (800x532).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I did not manage to get any Small Skipper shots last year that I was particularly happy with, I think I got too wrapped up with taking head on shots looking for Essex Skippers :roll:

Best of the bunch is probably this one;
Small Skipper - Castle Hills Solihull 02.08.2012
Small Skipper - Castle Hills Solihull 02.08.2012
I quite like this shot for a change of Small Skippers mud puddling on what was a hot day after some heavy rain. There were more than a dozen flitting about but I only managed to get the three in shot together. It is one of those photos that I like because of memories of the day more than anything else.
Small Skippers - Babbs Mill 22.07.2012
Small Skippers - Babbs Mill 22.07.2012
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

That's quite an infrequent sight in the UK, Neil. I think I've only ever seen it once - Dingy Skippers puddling during a brief heatwave in late May 2010.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I love the Small Skippers puddling Neil( also the muddy back ground :D ) Goldie :D

Return to “Small Skipper”