Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2012

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2012 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter until all 59 UK species have been covered. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas friends are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
David M

Re: Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 201

Post by David M »

Sometimes, dull and cloudy days are the best.

After spending two years chasing this species for a decent underside shot, I finally got one to oblige at the Alun Valley site, Glamorgan, in May:

Getting upperside shots is always much easier. From the same site on the same day (albeit different individual):

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary

This was taken at the end of May at Bentley Wood during an evening sortie. I’d visited previously and found Pearls and Dukes as well as managing to get some classic open and closed wing shots of Small pearls. This one however is my favourite as the evening light gave it s beautiful glow and capturing it backlit and from below meant that I could add this shot to my “stained glass window” collection. I also like it as it shows how hairy these little beasties are, an adaptation for the cooler springs when they emerge... although after last years’ almost nonstop deluge perhaps it would be better to have water proofing instead?
SPBF 05-29 Bent 2.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I too found SPBF in Bentley Wood on a quiet sunny afternoon at the end of May. I think the undersides are stunning, and they were showing generously on this paticular day.

Dave
Attachments
SPBF1 resized.JPG
SPBF15 resized.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I took my photo's of the SPBF at Knowstone in Devon. I was very suprised to see this butterfly because at the time I was taking Photo's of the Marsh Fritilary, I didn't think the place was suitable either for the SPBF because when I'd taken shot's before it had always been lush grasses with plenty of thistles and wild flowers, like Gaits Barrow. I know Gaits Barrow has it's Lime Stone and can look quite barren in parts but this place had almost no flowers except for the verges and it looked wild and wind swept, no tree's in the vicinity either and I only saw the one. It was the 31st of May.

I was also intrigued with the photo it looks like a face on it's body Goldie :D
Attachments
SPBF 31st May KS 2012 187.JPG
SPBF 31st May 2012 KS 198.JPG
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

I was very lucky to find a newly emerged small pearl at Park Corner Heath this year. It then decided to pose for me from several locations, so well behaved. It just refused to give me any underwing shots but one can't be too greedy!!!!
Attachments
DSC_8942 (800x531).jpg
DSC_8934 (800x531).jpg
DSC_8923 (800x531).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

My Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary shots are from the Wyre Forest when I went there looking for both these and PBFs. The SPBFs had only been on the wing for a couple of days and consequently were still looking nice and fresh.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Wyre Forest 04.06.2012
Cheers,

Neil.
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

No particularly favourite photo, but some solid... Like this one...

The species was dominant at the site, flying both in slope extensive pastures and alluvial meadows (and really small peat bogs)
Attachments
Halenkov, Wallachia (CZE); August 15, 2012
Halenkov, Wallachia (CZE); August 15, 2012

Return to “Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary”