The Butterflies of Sussex

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
peterc

The Butterflies of Sussex

Post by peterc »

Hi all,

I just made enquiries regarding delivery of the 'The Butterflies of Sussex' book. It is hoped copies will be delivered by the end of next week.

ATB

Peter
David M

Re: The Butterflies of Sussex

Post by David M »

Great. Thanks for the heads up, Peter. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Hopefully it'll arrive before I jet off to France in a couple of weeks!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,
I held the book for the first time today, so copies should be sent out from next week onwards.
I'm very pleased with the end result. I won't be sober for more than another hour.
BWs, Neil
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:I won't be sober for more than another hour.
Neil, I will join you in your act of imbibing with a fine Bordeaux! :)

An excellent effort.
millerd

Post by millerd »

And I shall raise a glass to you as well, Neil. An extraordinary achievement. :)

Many congratulations!

Dave
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Congratulations Neil, mine has been on order since it was originally announced - I am looking forward to receiving my copy and I know I won't be disappointed
Thanks to all the team for their hard work
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Me too. Massive congratulations, and a huge thank you for all you have done. :D
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

My copy came today :D

It's an absolute triumph!

Vince
peterc

Post by peterc »

Mine has arrived today :)

An incredibly brilliant book - one which I will turn to time and time again.

Congratulations, Neil on such a great achievement.

ATB

Peter
David M

Post by David M »

Still waiting for mine. :(

The suspense is killing me!
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Mine arrived today - absolutely fantastic with some of the best butterfly photography I have ever seen - only a quick flick through but I know this is going to be a book I come back to time and again - a triumph!
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Got mine today. Quiet day at the office so plenty of time to peruse. Well done to all involved from conception to delivery :D
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

I'm currently in transit, returning from Zadar in Croatia (and in Zagreb right now) and so I've only seen the images sent by Nature Bureau for the review and it looks great (although I've already seen a positive review in the Entomologist's Record .... at least, I think that was the publication I flicked through as I shot out the door on Saturday, late for the flight, as usual!). So I cannot wait to get hold of the review copy :)

On the plus side, today I had a few hours in Zadar, and notched up quite a few species - including Adonis Blue, Small Heath (incredible numbers; nice to see they're doing so well in at least one part of the world!), Wall, Glanville Fritillary (lots), Marsh Fritillary (even more), Queen of Spain Fritillary, Painted Lady, Green Underside Blue (I think - need Guy to confirm since the females had a lot of blue on them), Osiris Blue (I think), Clouded Yellow (spp.), Swallowtail, Small White, Green Hairstreak (lots), Common Blue, Brown Argus, Grizzled Skipper. Grizzled Skipper spp. (not malvae), Mallow Skipper and several others - as well as a few tortoises (actual tortoises, not tortoiseshells!) and 1m-long snakes - all within a 100m square patch of land ... the UK is so impoverished in comparison!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Just received my copy of 'The Butterflies of Sussex' and just loving it! I have just come out of hospital after an operation and needed cheering up and this wonderful tome was just the tonic I needed. It is a book you cannot put down and want to dip into again and again. Well done Neil, Michael and all who contributed. Just the thing to get me back out into the field again ASAP. Fantastic layout, A beautiful book.

Mike Gibbons
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Many thanks to all of you for your most generous comments. I'm ensuring that all are being passed on to Michael and the others who contributed; particularly Clare Blencowe and Bob Foreman, who did a great deal of work on the maps and phenology diagrams, and Nigel Symington on contracts etc.
Best Wishes, Neil
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Perusing my shiny new copy at work during my lunch break. It shall sit pride of place next to Thomas Lewington on my bookshelf :). Thank you to all those involved in producing it.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

My copy has now arrived, too. What a great book- the first picture on page 73 is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations to you, Michael, Claire, Bob and all who contributed, this book is a credit to you all and I love it! :D
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Many thanks, Paul and Mark.
Mark: Mia was, of course, delighted to make an appearance! The book was taken into school the following day.
BWs, Neil
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:..The book was taken into school the following day.
And what a trophy it must have been, Neil!

Great to see that good, old fashioned books still have a role to play in 2017. :)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I [think I] posted my review earlier somewhere on ukb but it has vanished.

The Butterflies of Sussex is an excellent publication with informative text – despite not being a butterfly novice, I am nevertheless learning a great deal. The photos are first rate, mostly I believe taken by Neil with his bridge camera (who needs a DSLR?).

The layout is ideal with none of those all-too-often pictures split over two pages – one of my pet hates. Neil has told me that he was quite firm with the publishers about layout. Congratulations to the publishers for accepting the authors’ guidance

I don’t know Michael Blencowe and don’t think he contributes to ukb (pity) or at least not very often.

Michael and Neil have set the standard in wildlife books that will undoubtedly be the benchmark for many years to come.

Jack

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”