The Great Butterfly Adventure

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Hoggers

The Great Butterfly Adventure

Post by Hoggers »

Hi : October 10th, BBC 4 at 9pm : the Great Butterfly Adventure "Charting the migration of the Painted Lady from North Africa to Britain".
Sounds interesting!

Hoggers.
kentishman

Re: The Great Butterfly Adventure

Post by kentishman »

This programme was mostly informative but had a lot of very annoying parts eg use of (clearly) dead adults positioned on flower heads, promotion of butterfly collecting, and sequencing an emerging adult from a pupa with a very worn one moving off.
Also seeing live butterflies and moths glued to wires for scientific purposes was rather disturbing.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I agree Hogger's, I hated to see the Butterflies glued to wires. UGH! science or not! Goldie :(
Catriona

Post by Catriona »

I was unable to watch the whole programme. I didn't like aspects of what i did see. The wiring of that poor butterfly upset me. Maybe such experiments exist but for me it seemed cruel and needless for a programme that wasn't all that serious.
And as for the nets- I was cross about that. At Bentley Wood I have seen parents with children -and their little nets. By showing the masses that nets are quite alright to use, how can these amazing creatures be safe from such practises.
The programme could have been wonderfully informative for those who take their butterflies seriously. But I felt instead that it gave ideas to the uninformed who might well now think of netting, wiring, and watching a poor creature fly around in circles just for entertainment.

Iona

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”