Eastern Region Purple Emperor report for 2014

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Eastern Region Purple Emperor report for 2014

Post by Pete Eeles »

New article from Liz and Andrew!

http://www.dispar.org/reference.php?id=91

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Eastern Region Purple Emperor report for 2014

Post by Padfield »

Very interesting.

I was at school (in the 70s) with Gerald Durrell's grandson, who claimed, with considerable authority, that purple emperors had always flown in Suffolk and still did. He even gave me a site where he knew they were. I cannot for the life remember where this was. I couldn't verify most of his claims for Suffolk rarities (brown hairstreak was another) - but then again, in those days I wasn't so mobile nor had so much experience of tracking down scarce butterflies - and later came to be a little sceptical about it all. Maybe I shouldn't have been ...

If you're reading this, Durrell (we used surnames at school and I can't remember most people's first names), I'd love to know if you were having me on or if you really did have sites ... I did find white admirals just where you said they flew!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Liz Goodyear

Post by Liz Goodyear »

Its this sort of information that we always like to hear, those hearsay reports from yesteryear or not so yesteryear! The wonders of the Internet have made such a difference.

Deep down in the appendix of our 2005-2006 report there is a Suffolk Atlas Extract - the last wood in Suffolk that we know of is Raydon Wood, not mentioned in huge detail in the Atlas but we are aware of a bit of 'topping up' in the 70s. Its not got the easiest of high points but others are being encouraged to look and there are regular recorders there.

http://www.hertsmiddx-butterflies.org.u ... report.pdf

If you do remember the name of the wood or perhaps a nearby town - let me know or via Pete

Liz
Liz Goodyear

Post by Liz Goodyear »

Now that Christmas is over, the shortest day is past and summer is only just around the corner (well in our dreams). We are hoping that everyone has had time to read our report!

So Andrew and I would like to make a blatant plug (with Pete's permission) for financial support to continue our survey work, in Suffolk and hopefully Norfolk this spring and summer.

http://www.copperdock.co.uk/funding.php

Over the years a lot of our work has been self funded (whether Purple Emperor or White-letter Hairstreak), although we have been supported by BC and BC branches. Without this support we would never achieved as much as we have but............we can't keep asking the same people to support us and we are looking at different avenues and just hoping that some individuals might feel able to help or know of some group or organisation that will. (BC have given us a list of potential Trusts that might help as well)

For those that remember our White-letter Hairstreak recording project - we worked out that we drove between us 30,000 miles to complete the project!
Many thanks in advance
Liz and Andrew
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Donation on the way.

Just a thought that might possibly allow a greater number of potential woods to be surveyed. Low resolution video cameras are available very cheaply. Perhaps use cameras to video tops of suitable woodland for characteristic PE flight. Yes, the cameras might get stolen but low risk if on private land and no big cost anyway if they are stolen. I'm sure there is someone on ukb with the appropriate skills to devise the software to identify suitable movements above trees. Then the human observers could follow up the findings.

And another though on similar lines. Remote controlled camera-equipped drones could be flown over the tree tops - probably a great deal cheaper than hiring cherry pickers. Drones are available for under £50 and what fun there would be learning to operate them! I may well get one myself shortly (but no PEs here of course).

Jack
Liz Goodyear

Post by Liz Goodyear »

Many thanks Jack - we have considered all these suggestions and been investigating but ............hopefully the costs will come down.

I know of someone on the Norfolk sailing scene that has been filming the Broads from above for some years using these devices and had a long chat back in the autumn.

Liz
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

By all accounts, the Emperor would be tempted to attack the drones! This would itself make for some interesting footage of course.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,

I had considered the use of drones for assisting with the making of a documentary on the South Downs I am involved with, which might (or might not) have PE footage included. I discussed the matter with Matthew Oates, but we feel there is a very high risk of casualties due to the position of the blades. Emperors will certainly attack them.

BWs, Neil
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I know what you mean by attack. I have a little £14 job and it seems to be fixated on me and is determined to get me. I can't keep the thing (indoors) in the air for more than a few seconds. It scares the sh*t out of me not to mention the poor cat. I tell you, flying a real aircraft with four jet engines is a great deal easier.

Anyway, drones and PEs. What you are implying Neil is that flying a drone over tree tops might tempt PEs into the air and reveal their presence. Sounds brilliant.

Jack
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,
I actually meant casualties amongst the Emperor population, although in the wrong hands I suspect drones can be a menace to humans, including the operator! Unfortunately, Emperors will probably fly into the blades, particularly if the drone is moving slowly in the vicinity of an assembly area.
BWs, Neil
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Unfortunately, Emperors will probably fly into the blades, particularly if the drone is moving slowly in the vicinity of an assembly area.
Good point but if the drone is high enough then risk would surely be minimal? Drones with shielding [of the blades] must exist. Will look up.

Just thought of an alternative. Kites or helium balloons drifting over the trees would hardly be a hazard.

Jack
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,

I've watched Emperors battling more than 100' (probably significantly more) above the canopy height, so to use a drone at a 'safe' altitude would probably fail to trigger an attack in most circumstances. A machine with protected blades is a good idea - they must exist ... or should!
I have often thought about flying one of those tiny kites you sometimes see (or used to see) on sale in the streets around Covent Garden, with an Emperor silhouette on clear backing. I'm yet to try it.
I remember Michael Blencowe trying a purple helium balloon with a cut-out Emperor dangling below. However, I think it was a case of wrong place and wrong time, and I recall that the wind was too gusty.
Any one of these silly tricks and devices would work in suitable weather conditions.

BWs, Neil
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I'd considered experimenting with radio-controlled Messerschmidts, but never yet had the time or means to pursue the idea further.
Liz Goodyear

Post by Liz Goodyear »

We have thought of a lot of these things over recent years.

Our thoughts with a camera were that we would be so busy looking at the screen and keeping the thing in control- we would probably miss any action (or be too distracted).

An alternative was a remote controlled pigeon! The real thing has done us proud on many occasions.
Liz
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Interested to know how this project is still going?
Would be so exciting to see Purple Emperors in Suffolk, I'm off to Fermyn wood this year to hopefully see my first.

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”